From: Beverly Howard on
After a decade of depending on styli, the current cropy of "finger only"
devices really underscore how nice a stylus can be.

Anyone here old enough to remember that socket mount ic chips were
shipped stuck to a small block of black foam? That foam was conductive
to assure that static would not build between any pins...

....so, on a hunch;

Dug out a very old (palm) stylus that had a metal body with screw on tips.

Removed the pointer tip

Cut a small piece of conductive foam

Compressed and inserted the foam into the end of the tube with about
1/8" exposed.

Bingo... a capacitive touch stylus.

Beverly Howard
From: Todd Allcock on
Sheer genius, Bev...

Be careful where you drill the long hole in the top of Rebecca's iPod Touch
to hold the stylus! ;)

Happy New Year!

From: Todd Allcock on
On a more serious note than my last reply, do you notice an improvement in
accuracy using the stylus? I find the capacitive touchscreen on the iPhone
is very "course" but I don't know if that's inherent in the technology
itself, or just due to my big fat fingers. The only commercial stylus I've
seen for the i's has a big fat end almost the size of a pinkie finger rather
than a point. Your invention sounds more practical if it improves accuracy.

From: Beverly Howard on
>> improvement in accuracy <<

yes.

Have also found that there is a commercial version of what I have at
http://tenonedesign.com/stylus.php demo at;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvnfXXulOIY ...they managed to bypass the
case drilling ;-)

There's a raft of diy approaches off of the following;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y9vrSShEIs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKG7kP70CIQ

Beverly Howard
From: "Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen" on
Wow! Thanks for the heads-up (and the YouTube links!) I'll test this with
my (aftermarket, three-in-one) iPAQ 2210 stylus.