From: Clark Smith on
I have a video card with a composite video socket, which I would
like to use in order to capture and display the video signal from some
external hardware into my computer. What Linux application(s) should I
use for this purpose?
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-05-10, Clark Smith <noaddress(a)nowhere.net> wrote:

> I have a video card with a composite video socket, which I would
> like to use in order to capture and display the video signal from some
> external hardware into my computer. What Linux application(s) should I
> use for this purpose?

The last time I tried it, using cat worked just fine:

cat /dev/video0 >file.mpg

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Is this TERMINAL fun?
at
From: Greg Russell on
On Mon, 10 May 2010 16:42:40 +0000, Clark Smith wrote:

> I have a video card with a composite video socket, which I would like to
> use in order to capture and display the video signal from some external
> hardware into my computer. What Linux application(s) should I use for
> this purpose?

Depending on what particular chipset the capture card has, you may be
able to use http://ivtvdriver.org

Although what Mssr. Edwards states elsewhere in the thread,

The setup may be somewhat challenging, but there're both a User's and
Developer's Forum mailing list to assist if needed.

I use Hauppauge PVR-150, PVR-500, HVR-1600 and HVR-1800 capture cards
with the above ivtv Linux drivers, and vlc for the capture software,
opening /dev/video[0-1] which are created by the ivtv kernel drivers.
Once directed to the desired /dev/video, then vlc can toggle the capture
using "Shift-R", which saves it as an mpeg2 file, which can be viewed
concurrently or played anytime afterwards.

I then use http://kinodv.org to edit the recording and export it to a DVD-
compatible format, then http://qdvdauthor.sourceforge.net to create a DVD
including menus etc..

If you want to record and view scheduled televison broadcasts unattended,
then http://mythtv.org works well.

Depending on your Linux distribution there may be packages available for
several of the above components.
From: Greg Russell on
I wrote:

> Although what Mssr. Edwards states elsewhere in the thread, ...

I apologize for failing to complete that statement:

.... my experience with the Hauppage cards indicates that the ivtv Linux
kernel driver needs to be installed before /dev/video is connected with
the card's output.

What brand and model of capture card are you using, please?