From: GreenXenon on
On Apr 14, 4:49 pm, spop...(a)speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote in
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.dsp/msg/870b1eaa0c654096 :
> glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>
> >There have been discussions about possible data retention in
> >both SRAM and DRAM, if you keep constant data for a long time.
>
> Good point -- you might see some carrier trapping in a capacitor that
> has been always charged, relative one that has not. But you
> won't see a voltage signal -- an actual charge -- after a period of
> usually seconds or minutes.
>
> The first problem, trapping of carriers or migration of atoms
> of some sort, is going to impact twin-transistor RAMs also.
>
> Steve

1. What is a carrier?

2. What is carrier trapping?

Thanks,

Green Xenon
From: Steve Pope on
GreenXenon <glucegen1x(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>1. What is a carrier?

An electron or a hole

>2. What is carrier trapping?

I guess the more common name for it is "charge trapping".
An electron (usually) gets trapped in the middle of an
insulating layer (usually silicon dioxide). This cause
a permanent change in the field in a transistor. It can
be why some chips wear out after as few as five years,
depending on their design.

Steve
From: Tim Wescott on
Steve Pope wrote:
> GreenXenon <glucegen1x(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1. What is a carrier?
>
> An electron or a hole
>
>> 2. What is carrier trapping?
>
> I guess the more common name for it is "charge trapping".
> An electron (usually) gets trapped in the middle of an
> insulating layer (usually silicon dioxide). This cause
> a permanent change in the field in a transistor. It can
> be why some chips wear out after as few as five years,
> depending on their design.

Unless you're talking drug smuggling, in which case a "carrier" is
someone who actually takes the dope* from point A to point B.

Carrier trapping involves folks in uniform, and lots of really tense,
dangerous impoliteness.

* Funny how semiconductor physicists and druggies are both obsessed with
"dope".

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 4/25/2010 11:10 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:
> Steve Pope wrote:
>> GreenXenon <glucegen1x(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 1. What is a carrier?
>>
>> An electron or a hole
>>
>>> 2. What is carrier trapping?
>>
>> I guess the more common name for it is "charge trapping".
>> An electron (usually) gets trapped in the middle of an
>> insulating layer (usually silicon dioxide). This cause
>> a permanent change in the field in a transistor. It can
>> be why some chips wear out after as few as five years,
>> depending on their design.
>
> Unless you're talking drug smuggling, in which case a "carrier" is
> someone who actually takes the dope* from point A to point B.
>
> Carrier trapping involves folks in uniform, and lots of really tense,
> dangerous impoliteness.
>
> * Funny how semiconductor physicists and druggies are both obsessed with
> "dope".

I was gonna say it must be in reference the battle of Leyte Gulf when
Admiral Halsey got suckered into sending the pocket carriers after the
Japanese decoy fleet.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: Clay on
On Apr 24, 4:24 pm, GreenXenon <glucege...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 14, 4:49 pm, spop...(a)speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote inhttp://groups.google.com/group/comp.dsp/msg/870b1eaa0c654096:
>
> > glen herrmannsfeldt  <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>
> > >There have been discussions about possible data retention in
> > >both SRAM and DRAM, if you keep constant data for a long time.
>
> > Good point -- you might see some carrier trapping in a capacitor that
> > has been always charged, relative one that has not.  But you
> > won't see a voltage signal -- an actual charge -- after a period of
> > usually seconds or minutes.
>
> > The first problem, trapping of carriers or migration of atoms
> > of some sort, is going to impact twin-transistor RAMs also.
>
> > Steve
>
> 1. What is a carrier?
>
> 2. What is carrier trapping?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Green Xenon

Carrier is a company that makes air conditioners.

A carrier trap is a device to remove moisture from the freon lines
lest the water freezes and clogs the expansion valve.

If your question is more specific, then the answer will be more
specific.

Pages: 1
Prev: Modified MESA
Next: RLB Weighting