From: Erland Sommarskog on
Sylvain Lafontaine (sylvainlafontaine2009(a)yahoo.ca) writes:
> I'm working on a similar problem. It now appears to me that even if float
> are stored internally with 16 digits,

Floats are not stored with 16 digits, they are stored with 53 bits
in the mantissa. This may rougly correspond to 16 decimal digits,
but it is not the same.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Eric Isaacs on
> Floats are not stored with 16 digits, they are stored with 53 bits
> in the mantissa. This may rougly correspond to 16 decimal digits,
> but it is not the same.

According to Microsoft Technet, the precision for FLOAT(53) is 15
digits and the precision for FLOAT(24) and REAL is 7 digits.

Source:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173773.aspx

-Eric Isaacs
From: Eric Isaacs on