From: bell.charles62 on
Dear members,

Let G be a topological (Hausdorff) group. Let H be an "abstract"
subgroup of G (i.e., not neceessary closed, open, ...) and let K
denote its topological closure in G.
Is it true that C_G(H) is contained in C_G(K)? What about normalizers?
I'm sorry if these are too stupid questions.

Best wishes,
Charles.
From: Arturo Magidin on
On Aug 3, 3:02 pm, "bell.charle...(a)googlemail.com"
<bell.charle...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear members,
>
> Let G be a topological (Hausdorff) group. Let H be an "abstract"
> subgroup of G (i.e., not neceessary closed, open, ...) and let K
> denote its topological closure in G.
> Is it true that C_G(H) is contained in C_G(K)? What about normalizers?
> I'm sorry if these are too stupid questions.

Conjugation by an element g is a topological automorphism of G; in
particular, if n lies in the normalizer of H, then conjugation by n
maps H to itself, and thus maps any closed subset that contains H into
a closed subset that contains H. In particular, nKn^{-1} must contain
G and is closed, and therefore K<=nKn^{-1}. The same argument holds
for n^{-1}, yielding that K<=n^{-1}Kn, and therefore nKn^{-1} = K,
showing that n normalizes K as well. So N_G(H)<=N_G(K).

For the centralizer, note that for any k in K there is a sequence
{g_i} of elements of G that converges to k; again apply conjugation by
a centralizing element, and recall that in a Hausdorff space sequences
that converge will converge to a unique point.

--
Arturo Magidin
From: bell.charles62 on
Dear Mr. Arturo,

Thank you very much for your reply.
I realized that my question on centralizers follows from the following
fact: "two functions coinciding on a subset must also coincide in the
closure of that set". So nets (or sequences) are not really needed but
the Hausdorff property is fundamental.

Best wishes,
Charles.