From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> leosarasua(a)gmail.com wrote:
>> I am writing a page in French and I need to create a confirm box, but I
>> want to change the labels of the buttons from "OK" and "Cancel" into
>> "Oui" and "Non".
>
> It will be most certainly be "Oui" and "Non" in a French user agent (UA) by
> default.

Sorry, I meant "OK" and the French equivalent of "Cancel" ("Annuler"?) of
course.

PointedEars
From: leosarasua on
On Dec 2, 10:31 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> > leosara...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> >> I am writing a page in French and I need to create a confirm box, but I
> >> want to change the labels of the buttons from "OK" and "Cancel" into
> >> "Oui" and "Non".
>
> > It will be most certainly be "Oui" and "Non" in a French user agent (UA) by
> > default.
>
> Sorry, I meant "OK" and the French equivalent of "Cancel" ("Annuler"?) of
> course.
>
> PointedEars

I couldn't get access to a French browser, but if what you say is
true, then it adds another problem to confirm, because you don't know
anymore what the buttons will say when a user opens your page in
another part of the world. You could end up having something like
this: "Click OK to proceed or Cancel to review your order: <<OK>>
<<Annuler>>", which would leave the user wondering where is the
"Cancel" button?
Obviously, there should be more control on confirm and, from what I
see here, there is no reason for it to be so restricted. So what are
the Browser designers waiting for?
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
leosarasua(a)gmail.com wrote:
> On Dec 2, 10:31 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
> wrote:
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>>> It will be most certainly be "Oui" and "Non" in a French user agent (UA) by
>>> default.
>> Sorry, I meant "OK" and the French equivalent of "Cancel" ("Annuler"?) of
>> course.
>> [...]
>
> I couldn't get access to a French browser, but if what you say is
> true, then it adds another problem to confirm, because you don't know
> anymore what the buttons will say when a user opens your page in
> another part of the world. You could end up having something like
> this: "Click OK to proceed or Cancel to review your order: <<OK>>
> <<Annuler>>", which would leave the user wondering where is the
> "Cancel" button?

You would employ means to make sure that the message is in the same language
as the buttons, or not refer to the button captions at all, of course.

> Obviously, there should be more control on confirm and, from what I
> see here, there is no reason for it to be so restricted. So what are
> the Browser designers waiting for?

Even more incompetent developers?

PointedEars