From: Shea Barton on
Is there any existing functions or external gems that can take a generic
string and parse for charset markers, converting that parts of the
string to their appropriate charsets?

For example, theres an email with the headers
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 04:00:29 EDT
From: =?iso-8859-1?B?U0FU?= <CollegeBoard(a)noreply.collegeboard.org>
Subject:
=?iso-8859-1?B?VGhlIE9mZmljaWFsIFNBVCBRdWVzdGlvbiBvZiB0aGUgRGF5?=

How can I convert this to what it should be,
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 04:00:29 EDT
From: SAT <CollegeBoard(a)noreply.collegeboard.org>
Subject: SAT Question of the Day

From: Brian Candler on
Shea Barton wrote:
> Is there any existing functions or external gems that can take a generic
> string and parse for charset markers, converting that parts of the
> string to their appropriate charsets?
>
> For example, theres an email with the headers
> Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 04:00:29 EDT
> From: =?iso-8859-1?B?U0FU?= <CollegeBoard(a)noreply.collegeboard.org>
> Subject:
> =?iso-8859-1?B?VGhlIE9mZmljaWFsIFNBVCBRdWVzdGlvbiBvZiB0aGUgRGF5?=
>
> How can I convert this to what it should be,
> Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 04:00:29 EDT
> From: SAT <CollegeBoard(a)noreply.collegeboard.org>
> Subject: SAT Question of the Day

Not answering your question directly, but this syntax is specific to
MIME encoding of E-mail headers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME#Encoded-Word

So if you look at ruby MIME toolkits you may find what you're looking
for.