From: 20060524 on
I appreciate your response, Joe!

Why do you think I tried to distill the problem? :)

I will most likely start a new thread to expound on my “poor man's temporal
database implementation” approach and get some comments from the community.

The approach is not as elegant as Rock Snodgrass' but it is a solution which
can be applied to most databases that simply need to work against data given
its state during a user-specified point in time.

At least it's something I can use until the SQL/Temporal extensions are
included in Transact-SQL.

Again, I thank you for your input and for taking interest in the issue I
originally posted.
From: --CELKO-- on
>> Why do you think I tried to distill the problem? :) <<

Most of the postings are "for real" on this newsgroup :)

Rick Snodgrass and Tom Johnston have the best ways to do this if you
do not want to go to jail, but it has overhead.

>> At least it’s something I can use until the SQL/Temporal extensions are included in Transact-SQL. <<

Microsoft is always a decade behind Standards and tries to subvert
them. I cannot think of a good DB or SQL for temporal stuff.

>> Again, I thank you for your input and for taking interest in the issue originally posted. <<

No, thank you! Your original post gave me an article and perhaps part
of a chapter in my next book. You made me a few hundred dollars for
the article and a few thousand dollars over the next decade of the
book's lifetime :)

I am writing a few thousand words of tracing the order-order details
models thru mag tape files mimicked in SQL, to early network DBs
mimicked in SQL, to proper SQL.