From: Robert Baer on
Tim Williams wrote:
> "Don Lancaster" <don(a)tinaja.com> wrote in message
>> On 8/9/2010 1:43 PM, Tim Williams wrote:
>>> That's not PS, that's MP4...........
>> No, our regular web host does not have enough bandwidth or the correct
>> software to real time serve multiple video watchers. They are working on
>> alternatives.
>>
>> And, of course, all of the stills were done with PostScript.
>
> I mean, I would be more impressed if the video itself were PS. You can do
> 3D drawings, so what about the 4th dimension--time? You should be able to
> write that whole thing in about 22kB of PS. ;^)
>
> Speaking of MP4, it's ironic that such small PS files are rasterized, then
> JPEG compressed. They look truely terrible. It would be neat if you
> could encapsulate PS inside an MP4 stream. MP4 is a stream container, but
> it's not specified for PS content, is it?
>
> There are standards for variable quality, scalable, streamable images,
> like JPEG2000, which perhaps could be integrated with vector media like PS
> and SVG. I suppose it'll be several decades before we get a video format,
> and the computational power to encode and decode it, which can do all
> these things, in four dimensions. 3D vector animations with "unlimited"
> resolution will be pretty fuckin sweet when it gets here, though...
>
> On a tangentially related subject, Don, I don't suppose you know of
> programs (or scripts) good for converting vector graphics formats, like
> for instance Paint Shop files? All the ones I've seen create a raster
> image. Eugh.
>
> Tim

If i remember correctly, there was a conversion program in the mid
1980s that worked on bitmap and vector images; limitation was no bitmap
to vector conversion was possible / available.
But it DID convert between 2-4 vector formats.
Name lost in the dim past..sorry.
From: Robert Baer on
Nobody wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 17:26:03 -0500, Tim Williams wrote:
>
>> There are standards for variable quality, scalable, streamable images,
>> like JPEG2000, which perhaps could be integrated with vector media like PS
>> and SVG. I suppose it'll be several decades before we get a video format,
>> and the computational power to encode and decode it, which can do all
>> these things, in four dimensions. 3D vector animations with "unlimited"
>> resolution will be pretty fuckin sweet when it gets here, though...
>
> For 2D, SVG can be animated with embedded JavaScript (works in current
> Firefox; I haven't tried anything else).
>
> For 3D, there's WebGL, but that's currently rather bleeding-edge (i.e. you
> need a "snapshot" build of Firefox, Chrome or Safari, and some features
> will be missing or broken).
>
>> On a tangentially related subject, Don, I don't suppose you know of
>> programs (or scripts) good for converting vector graphics formats, like
>> for instance Paint Shop files? All the ones I've seen create a raster
>> image. Eugh.
>
> Unless I already know of a better way, my default approach is to "print"
> to a PostScript printer using "Print to File", then (unless I want
> PostScript) use Ghostscript to convert to PDF, SVG or CGM. The main
> downside is that it tends to lose structure (in the worst case, text
> may end up with each letter as a distinct object).

Different PostScript printers tend to give different results..
From: Nunya on
On Aug 9, 2:07 pm, Don Lancaster <d...(a)tinaja.com> wrote:
> On 8/9/2010 1:43 PM, Tim Williams wrote:
>
> > That's not PS, that's MP4...........
>
> > Tim
>
> No, our regular web host does not have enough  bandwidth or the correct
> software to real time serve multiple video watchers. They are working on
> alternatives.
>
> And, of course, all of the stills were done with PostScript.
>
> --
> Many thanks,
>
> Don Lancaster                          voice phone: (928)428-4073
> Synergetics   3860 West First Street   Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
> rss:http://www.tinaja.com/whtnu.xml  email: d...(a)tinaja.com
>
> Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site athttp://www.tinaja.com

Just serve the damned file. If you are not a streaming server,
you shouldn't try to be one. And you are not keeping anyone
from grabbing the file from a streamer source either.

Guru's lair? Ha! Guru of what? Not web sites.
From: Nunya on
On Aug 9, 10:22 pm, Robert Baer <robertb...(a)localnet.com> wrote:
> Nobody wrote:
> > On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 17:26:03 -0500, Tim Williams wrote:
>
> >> There are standards for variable quality, scalable, streamable images,
> >> like JPEG2000, which perhaps could be integrated with vector media like PS
> >> and SVG. I suppose it'll be several decades before we get a video format,
> >> and the computational power to encode and decode it, which can do all
> >> these things, in four dimensions.  3D vector animations with "unlimited"
> >> resolution will be pretty fuckin sweet when it gets here, though...
>
> > For 2D, SVG can be animated with embedded JavaScript (works in current
> > Firefox; I haven't tried anything else).
>
> > For 3D, there's WebGL, but that's currently rather bleeding-edge (i.e. you
> > need a "snapshot" build of Firefox, Chrome or Safari, and some features
> > will be missing or broken).
>
> >> On a tangentially related subject, Don, I don't suppose you know of
> >> programs (or scripts) good for converting vector graphics formats, like
> >> for instance Paint Shop files?  All the ones I've seen create a raster
> >> image.  Eugh.
>
> > Unless I already know of a better way, my default approach is to "print"
> > to a PostScript printer using "Print to File", then (unless I want
> > PostScript) use Ghostscript to convert to PDF, SVG or CGM. The main
> > downside is that it tends to lose structure (in the worst case, text
> > may end up with each letter as a distinct object).
>
>    Different PostScript printers tend to give different results..

Maybe that is why most of us shitcanned postscript.
From: Don Lancaster on
On 8/10/2010 8:46 AM, Nunya wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2:07 pm, Don Lancaster<d...(a)tinaja.com> wrote:
>> On 8/9/2010 1:43 PM, Tim Williams wrote:
>>
>>> That's not PS, that's MP4...........
>>
>>> Tim
>>
>> No, our regular web host does not have enough bandwidth or the correct
>> software to real time serve multiple video watchers. They are working on
>> alternatives.
>>
>> And, of course, all of the stills were done with PostScript.
>>
>> --
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073
>> Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
>> rss:http://www.tinaja.com/whtnu.xml email: d...(a)tinaja.com
>>
>> Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site athttp://www.tinaja.com
>
> Just serve the damned file. If you are not a streaming server,
> you shouldn't try to be one. And you are not keeping anyone
> from grabbing the file from a streamer source either.
>
> Guru's lair? Ha! Guru of what? Not web sites.

We are a card carrying member of the Guru and Swamais local #204.

--

rss: http://www.tinaja.com/whtnu.xml email: don(a)tinaja.com