From: John DuBois on
In article <f54d87be-3a3f-4a2a-98c3-a6059d7a1abf(a)x1g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>,
pg(a)gmail.com <phil.ganchev(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On May 14, 3:00�pm, spce...(a)armory.com (John DuBois) wrote:
>> In article <9ca3389f-2b32-4c20-85cf-74d6ab683...(a)l28g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> p...(a)gmail.com <phil.ganc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Is it possible to make any of those a different color than the others?
>> >In any shell?
>>
>> This may be useful:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.shell/msg/e25a5a4969a1b46b
>
>Thanks for the reply. The armory server seems to be down, so I can't
>see the program you refer to.

Second drive failure in a year... back up now.

>Also, I guess this means you would have
>to embed every command in this outer command, right?

Either that, or invoke the entire shell program with it.
If you want to set it up from within a shell program, here's how to do it in
ksh & shells with similar capabilities. Remove the -u from the sed commands if
you aren't use GNU sed. Note that even with -u, output to different fds isn't
guaranteed to be delivered in the order that it was generated.

# Setup: filter output through processes that prefix each line with appropriate
# terminal sequences.
exec 3>&1
sed -u "s/^/$(tput setf 2)/" >&3 |&
exec 3>&- 1>&p
sed -u "s/^/$(tput setf 1)/" >&2 |&
exec 2>&p

# Shell program here

# Cleanup: revert to default colors, and close coprocess inputs and wait for
# them so that all output will be delivered before the shell program exits.
tput sgr0
exec 1>&- 2>&-
wait

John
--
John DuBois spcecdt(a)armory.com KC6QKZ/AE http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/
From: CSM 'illovae' Seldon on
"pg(a)gmail.com" <phil.ganchev(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible to make any of those a different color than the others?
> In any shell?

Hey, you can try grc. It have by default some recepies for ping,
traceroute, etc, but you can create your own depending what you need.

http://kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk/~garabik/software/grc.html

Regards,

-- illovae.

--
CSM 'illovae' Seldon druuna (at) dud-t.org |
Member of dud-t group gopher://12.dud-t.org |