From: Patti Barden on
When you open My Computer and see all the folders on a
particular drive - can you colour code them or put an icon
on to speed up your searching?
Thank you. Patti

From: Jerry on
A Google search on folder icons will give a list of programs that will do
what you want.

From: Tim Meddick on

You don't need extra software with XP to customise (change) the default "folder" icon
on any folder you want to one of your own choosing.

Just right-click on the folder you want to assign a [your own] icon, and choose
"Properties"

In the "Properties" page of the selected folder, select the "Customise" tab.

On the "Customise" page you'll find a section at the bottom devoted to defining your
own icon for that folder.

*NB - You won't find the "Customise" tab for "special" folders such as "My Documents"
and "My Pictures"

What the "Customise" feature effectively does is described below :

You can change *any* folder's icon (including "special" folders) by editing or
placing a [hidden] file called "desktop.ini" with the following [example] code in it
:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=C:\WINDOWS\Icons\MyIcon.ico
IconIndex=0
InfoTip=Example description here.

....you should make the folder read-only to make the icon show-up otherwise it won't.
You may have to use the "attrib +r FolderName" command to do this.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: Patti Barden on
Thanks as ever for practical advice.
Patti

"Tim Meddick" <timmeddick(a)gawab.com> wrote in message

> You don't need extra software with XP to customise (change) the default
> "folder" icon on any folder you want to one of your own choosing.
>
> Just right-click on the folder you want to assign a [your own] icon, and
> choose "Properties"
>
> In the "Properties" page of the selected folder, select the "Customise"
> tab.
>
> On the "Customise" page you'll find a section at the bottom devoted to
> defining your own icon for that folder.
>

> *NB - You won't find the "Customise" tab for "special" folders such as "My
> Documents" and "My Pictures"
>
> What the "Customise" feature effectively does is described below :
>
> You can change *any* folder's icon (including "special" folders) by
> editing or placing a [hidden] file called "desktop.ini" with the following
> [example] code in it :
>
> [.ShellClassInfo]
> IconFile=C:\WINDOWS\Icons\MyIcon.ico
> IconIndex=0
> InfoTip=Example description here.
>
> ...you should make the folder read-only to make the icon show-up otherwise
> it won't.
> You may have to use the "attrib +r FolderName" command to do this.
>
> ==
>
> Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)
>

> "Patti Barden" <patti(a)freeola.com> wrote in message
>> When you open My Computer and see all the folders on a
>> particular drive - can you colour code them or put an icon
>> on to speed up your searching?
>> Thank you. Patti

Pages: 1
Prev: view large icons not sticking