From: WildlyHarry on
I am trying to use data entered on a form to create an SQL string that will
be passed to a query. Every time I compile the VBA I get the "Compile Error:
Type Mismatch" on the set qdf = query name line. I have checked my reference
library and my DAO 3.6 is the highest priority. Below is my code. Any idea
what the issue might be?

Private Sub Command172_Click()

Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
Set db = CurrentDb()
Set qdf = "qry short list status report"

qdf = "SELECT ...

From: ghetto_banjo on
not sure with DAO, but when i do other query defs, i need to reference
the database in the SET qdf.

Set qdf = db.QueryDefs("qry short list status report")

again, not sure when using DAO, but I imagine it something like that
From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:18:01 -0700, WildlyHarry
<WildlyHarry(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am trying to use data entered on a form to create an SQL string that will
>be passed to a query. Every time I compile the VBA I get the "Compile Error:
>Type Mismatch" on the set qdf = query name line. I have checked my reference
>library and my DAO 3.6 is the highest priority. Below is my code. Any idea
>what the issue might be?
>
>Private Sub Command172_Click()
>
>Dim db As DAO.Database
>Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
>Set db = CurrentDb()
>Set qdf = "qry short list status report"
>
>qdf = "SELECT ...

Try:

Set qdf = db.Querydefs("qry short list status report")
Set qdf.SQL = "SELECT...

Or more simply,

Set qdf = db.CreateQuerydef("SomeName", "SELECT...")

and then use SomeName in your further processiong.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]