From: lawodortroder on
My computer running Windows XP was working fine, then one day i went to turn
it on and all i got was a black screen with white writing across the top are
approx 5-6 F key functions. F1 to enter set up
then after the Fkey functions, it drops down a few lines and asks to confirm
month, date year, etc. times. It appears this is the original set up screen
i tried scrolling through these functions and changing the info that was
incorrect, which was date and time, and did get to windows once. I went and
did a computer restore to an earlier date approx 2 weeks prior to the first
time this happened and used the computer however when i shut it down, the
next time i turned it on it gave me that black set up screen again, that is
all it will do now any suggestions
From: Richard Urban on
"lawodortroder" <lawodortroder(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer running Windows XP was working fine, then one day i went to
> turn
> it on and all i got was a black screen with white writing across the top
> are
> approx 5-6 F key functions. F1 to enter set up
> then after the Fkey functions, it drops down a few lines and asks to
> confirm
> month, date year, etc. times. It appears this is the original set up
> screen
> i tried scrolling through these functions and changing the info that was
> incorrect, which was date and time, and did get to windows once. I went
> and
> did a computer restore to an earlier date approx 2 weeks prior to the
> first
> time this happened and used the computer however when i shut it down, the
> next time i turned it on it gave me that black set up screen again, that
> is
> all it will do now any suggestions

Replace the tiny coin sized battery on the motherboard. Without this battery
at operating voltage your computer bios may/will act as you describe. The
battery is too weak to have the bios chip maintain its settings.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP