From: Willy Picard on
Hi,

Currently, avahi conflicts with howl/mDNSResponder. As a user of KDE, I have
plenty of applications that depend on mDNSResponder. But at the same time, I am
a user of OpenOffice.org, Firefox, eclipse and many others that depend on avahi
(mainly because of gnome-vfs). The current conflict has the following
consequence: I cannot update the applications that depend on avahi because avahi
cannot be updated. Therefore, my question is the following: what should I do to
have Firefox, OpenOffice.org and the like updated? Should I delete avahi and
force a dependence of these applications with howl/mDNSResponder? Should I wait
till Gnome and KDE find an agreement on this conflict :) ?

Regards,

Willy Picard
--
Willy Picard e-mail: picard(a)kti.ae.poznan.pl
Dept. of Information Technology www: http://www.kti.ae.poznan.pl/

On 06/07/2006, at 9:11 PM, Willy Picard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, avahi conflicts with howl/mDNSResponder. As a user of
> KDE, I have
> plenty of applications that depend on mDNSResponder. But at the
> same time, I am
> a user of OpenOffice.org, Firefox, eclipse and many others that
> depend on avahi
> (mainly because of gnome-vfs). The current conflict has the following
> consequence: I cannot update the applications that depend on avahi
> because avahi
> cannot be updated. Therefore, my question is the following: what
> should I do to
> have Firefox, OpenOffice.org and the like updated? Should I delete
> avahi and
> force a dependence of these applications with howl/mDNSResponder?
> Should I wait
> till Gnome and KDE find an agreement on this conflict :) ?

This has been raised a number of times, check the archives.

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 09:55:11PM +1000, Sam Lawrance wrote:
> On 06/07/2006, at 9:11 PM, Willy Picard wrote:
>
> >Currently, avahi conflicts with howl/mDNSResponder. As a user of KDE, I have
> >plenty of applications that depend on mDNSResponder. But at the same time, I
> >am a user of OpenOffice.org, Firefox, eclipse and many others that depend on
> >avahi (mainly because of gnome-vfs). The current conflict has the following
> >consequence: I cannot update the applications that depend on avahi because
> >avahi cannot be updated. Therefore, my question is the following: what
> >should I do to have Firefox, OpenOffice.org and the like updated? Should I
> >delete avahi and force a dependence of these applications with
> >howl/mDNSResponder? Should I wait till Gnome and KDE find an agreement on
> >this conflict :) ?
>
> This has been raised a number of times, check the archives.

First, thank you very much for this very interesting contribution!!! This is a
real good piece of help!

For those that still have the avahi+howl+mDNSResponder conflict, here is a way
to turnaround the problem:

1) Remove the /var/db/ports/avahi/options file if you have one
2) Run the following command: portupgrade -o net/avahi -f howl
3) When the option page appears, DO NOT enable the mDNSResponder compatibility
4) Run the following command: portupgrade -f avahi

This is working for me and I hope it may help other persons to overcome the
avahi+howl+mDNSResponder conflict. If the proposed solution is wrong or
incorrect, please let others know about it.

Willy

On 07/07/2006, at 7:25 PM, Willy Picard wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 09:55:11PM +1000, Sam Lawrance wrote:
>> On 06/07/2006, at 9:11 PM, Willy Picard wrote:
>>
>>> Currently, avahi conflicts with howl/mDNSResponder. As a user of
>>> KDE, I have
>>> plenty of applications that depend on mDNSResponder. But at the
>>> same time, I
>>> am a user of OpenOffice.org, Firefox, eclipse and many others
>>> that depend on
>>> avahi (mainly because of gnome-vfs). The current conflict has the
>>> following
>>> consequence: I cannot update the applications that depend on
>>> avahi because
>>> avahi cannot be updated. Therefore, my question is the following:
>>> what
>>> should I do to have Firefox, OpenOffice.org and the like updated?
>>> Should I
>>> delete avahi and force a dependence of these applications with
>>> howl/mDNSResponder? Should I wait till Gnome and KDE find an
>>> agreement on
>>> this conflict :) ?
>>
>> This has been raised a number of times, check the archives.
>
> First, thank you very much for this very interesting
> contribution!!! This is a
> real good piece of help!

I thought so too, I'm glad you're enthusiastic about it