From: Tyler Smart on
Hi guys,

I am confused about lower priority MX records. If I have a backup at
prioirty 100, and a mailserver at priority 0, how do I check the
backup account for email, or use it for email? How do I check the
lower priority for email? Can I set the level 0 to check the lower one
every hour?

Sincerely,
Tyler
From: Loki Harfagr on
Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:48:48 -0800, Tyler Smart did cat :

> Hi guys,
>
> I am confused about lower priority MX records. If I have a backup at
> prioirty 100, and a mailserver at priority 0, how do I check the backup
> account for email,

for a quick and easy instant check pull the plug off the mailserver
(or add an iptables temporary blockade)

> or use it for email?

change the priority from 100 to 0

> How do I check the lower
> priority for email? Can I set the level 0 to check the lower one every
> hour?

What/why every hour? This is not clear, if litteraly taken just write
a cron script that'd add an iptables blockade on the main server
every hour for one minute long, but that may not be what you wanted to ask ?-)

Alternatively if you have a sending test server change its mailertable to read:
test.back.domain [backupIP]:[mainIP]
and test with e.g. `date|sendmail -v -Am postmaster(a)test.back.domain`

If the question was elsewhat please be descriptive ;-)
From: ska on
Tyler Smart wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am confused about lower priority MX records. If I have a backup at
> prioirty 100, and a mailserver at priority 0, how do I check the
> backup account for email, or use it for email? How do I check the
> lower priority for email? Can I set the level 0 to check the lower one
> every hour?

Er, I guess you misunderstand the duty of Backup MX:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MX_record#The_backup_MX

there is no "backup account for email".

-ska