From: Gabriela on
Hi Daniel,
I have the same problem when connecting to SQL 2000 SP4 from the SQL 2008 PowerShell.

Did you have any luck finding the minimum required to be installed on SQL Server 2000 in order for this to work? I installed Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Components and Native Client, but I still get the same error message.
The WMI for SQL Server is installed and it seems to be working on the remote server, because such command as below gives no error or warning, and display the list of databases on MySQLServerBox:

Get-WmiObject -query "select * from MSSQL_Database" -namespace root\MicrosoftSQLServer -ComputerName MySQLServerBox | Out-GridView

but when I try something like

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0> cd sqlserver:\sql\MySQLServerBox

I get the error!

The above cd command will work if MySQLServerBox is SQL Server 2005 or 2008, or even my workstation, where I have, exactly like you said, SQL Serve 2008 installed (client) and only a SQL server 2000 instance?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Regards,

Gabriela Nanau
Senior Database Administrator
Cornerstone Group of Companies

www.cstonecanada.com

Daniel Jameson wrote:

Connect SQL 2000 from SQL 2008 Powershell
25-Aug-08

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to SQL 2000 SP4 from the SQL 2008 PowerShell. The SQL
2008 Books Online claims it can be done*. I am able to connect to my SQL
2008 and SQL 2005 servers, but not my SQL 2000 SP4 servers.

Has anyone actually seen the SQL 2008 PowerShell connect to a SQL 2000 SP4
instance? I have searched microsoft.com and Googled the Web at large, and
I'm not finding anything useful.

When I try

PS SQLSERVER:\SQL> Set-Location SQL2000Box

I get this error message:
WARNING: Could not obtain SQL Server Service information. An attempt to
connect to WMI on 'SQL2000Box' failed with the following error: SQL Server
WMI provider is not available on SQL2000Box. --> Invalid namespace

Does anyone *know* how to make a "SQL Server WMI provider" available on a
Windows Server 2003 box running SQL Server SP4 such that SQL 2008 PowerShell
can connect?

--
Thank you,

Daniel Jameson
SQL Server DBA
Children's Oncology Group
www.childrensoncologygroup.org

*http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281962.aspx: Section "Supported
Versions of SQL Server"

On Monday, August 25, 2008 2:28 PM
Daniel Jameson wrote:

[...]

On Monday, August 25, 2008 2:35 PM
Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP] wrote:

Maybe you need the 2008 native client and/or command line utilities
Maybe you need the 2008 native client and/or command line utilities or
management objects installed on the 2003 box. You can get them from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C6C3E9EF-BA29-4A43-
8D69-A2BED18FE73C

On 8/25/08 2:28 PM, in article uAItiBuBJHA.2292(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
"Daniel Jameson" <no_djameson_spam(a)childrensoncologygroup.org> wrote:

On Monday, August 25, 2008 3:18 PM
Daniel Jameson wrote:

Aaron,I think you may be correct.
Aaron,

I think you may be correct. After I posted my message, I tried connecting
to the old SQL 2000 SP4 instance on my workstation on which I have now
installed all the SQL 2008 "Shared Features," and it connected successfully.
So I am now in the process of looking at the "Feature Selection" step of the
SQL 2008 install wizard to determine/guess which minimal set features will
allow the PowerShell connection.

The features I'm considering are "Client Tools Connectivity," "Client Tools
Backwards Compatibility" and, maybe, "Management Tools."

I'll let you know when/if I get it to work.

--
Thank you,

Daniel Jameson
SQL Server DBA
Children's Oncology Group
www.childrensoncologygroup.org

"Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]" <ten.xoc(a)dnartreb.noraa> wrote in message

EggHeadCafe Chat Chaos in Silverlight Released Today
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/325ea67e-d6c4-4811-b096-54f31bdede5d/eggheadcafe-chat-chaos-in.aspx