From: Steve Staples on
On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 14:32 -0400, tedd wrote:
> At 1:56 PM -0400 10/5/10, tedd wrote:
> >At 12:54 PM +0100 10/5/10, Col Day wrote:
> >>Hi Shreyas,
> >>
> >>Ok, as far as I can tell the script should show "This is an HTML
> >>line" reflecting that I am seeing the HTML part of the script
> >>followed by "This is a PHP line" to show that PHP is installed and
> >>working fine.
> >
> >Col:
> >
> >Do this:
> >
> >1. Create a file and entitle it "index.php" (without quotes)
> >2. Enter "<?php phpinfo();?>" (without quotes)
> >3. Save the file.
> >4. Upload the file to your host.
> >5. Open a browser and enter the url (i.e., http://yourdomain.com/index.php)
> >
> >What do you see?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >tedd
>

> Col:
>
> You don't have to tell what you see, but rather do you see anything?
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
>
> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com/

Tedd:

He is working off his localhost, running on vista... so what it seems
(to me at least) is that he is getting the php to work when he uses the
localhost, but when he tries to open a php file from say his desktop, he
doesn't see the php stuff... which is exactly as designed since running
form your desktop, php does not execute the code...

i am guessing that he just needs to use his localhost directory.

Steve.

From: "Col Day" on
Morning all,

Apologies for the delay, I've just become a Dad for the first time so a
little distracted!

If I explain exactly what I am trying to do then it may become clear as to
where I'm going wrong.

Needless to say, new baby so want to show him off (Callum, 7lb4oz) so
decided to buy a webname and pay for hosting, however money is a bit tight,
so being adventurous (or stupid, not sure which yet) I set up apache on my
laptop and started writing a website in Serif's WebPlus10. However I wanted
to have an upload area on the site for friends and family to send their
pictures of Callum (and the family and anything else they wanted) so there
was a central "store". However I tried to find some html to handle the
upload of these files but wasn't able to work it out, google and various
other bitsx of research on the net showed that I probably needed to run a
script to do this and PHP seemed the simplest, so I downloaded PHP 5.3.3 and
installed it.

This is where it started getting tricky as I was using the PHP for dummies
book from 2006. I typed that piece of code in (direct from the book) but
added it as an html attachment into my site I was building. Uploaded the
site to my localhost and had a look. I only got the HTML line from the
script. This is where I started contacting you bunch of fine programmers!

I have now learned that if I save the script as a .php file and navigate
direct to it on localhost it works fine, but I think what I am trying to do
is get it to work in an existing webpage so that I can then get my upload
working.

Any help you can offer from explanantions to whole bits of code will be
greatly received!

Many thanks!

From: "=?utf-8?B?YXNoQGFzaGxleXNoZXJpZGFuLmNvLnVr?=" on
It will only work if your listing supports php, but you should just be able to put the whole sure up on your hosting, give the upload directory the correct permissions ( its most likely a more secure Linux hosting than insecure windows hosting)

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Steve Staples on
Col:

Congratulations on becoming a father!! As a father of 3 myself, I know
the joys that infants bring :)

As for your scripting issues, I would suggest that you save your files
with the .php extension, and not the .html. The .php extension will
tell the php compliler/parser/whatever and spit back the "compiled" php
script.

If you're looking to just have a "photo gallery", there are many
free/opensource gallery scripts out there that you can use. Mind you,
there is no "sense of accomplishment" when you do it this way, but if
you're unsure about security, and file injection/sql injection, then you
may be better off using one of those, until you're further along in your
book :)

http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=opesource+php
+gallery&aq=f&aqi=g-sx1g-o1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=f85a0cf66583c3ac

in the past, I set up coppermine for a friend of mine, and he said it
works ok... but like I said, there are lots out there, and maybe
consider using one of them for now, so you can spend more time with your
new baby :)

Steve.

--

Steve Staples