From: klar on
I would like to do a search feature similar to what Google has done.
When the user types in the initial letters of a keyword, Google will
automatically suggest some appropriate keywords. I have been
investigating on whether MSAccess can do this for searching records.
Say, user types in the first few letters of customer name. Then,
Access can be made smart enough to offer suggestions for the best
match. So far, my efforts have failed. I am not sure if my failed
efforts are due to my ignorance in Access or limitation of Access
itself. The closest thing I found is DoCmd.

Can the experts here advise? Thank you.
From: Allen Browne on
If there's only a few keywords (thousands, not tens of thousands), you could
use a combo.

Otherwise you can use the Change event of the unbound text box where users
enter the search word. Do nothing until you have (say) 3 characters to
match. Then examine the Text property of the search box (Value is not
updated yet), save the Len(.Text), assign the Value, and set SelStart and
SelLength so that the remaining characters get overtyped as the user
continues.

From: Albert D. Kallal on
The feature you ask for has been built into access for at least 15 or more
years (even before Google existed).

Just drop a combo box onto your form and ensure that the wizards are
enabled. If you choose the option to find a record based on.... Access will
create a combo box that when you type in a few characters, it will suggest
the close matches.

Albert K.

From: klar on
On Jul 8, 1:11 pm, "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkal...(a)msn.com>
wrote:
> The feature you ask for has been built into access for at least 15 or more
> years (even before Google existed).
>
> Just drop a combo box onto your form and ensure that the wizards are
> enabled. If you choose the option to find a record based on.... Access will
> create a combo box that when you type in a few characters, it will suggest
> the close matches.
>
> Albert K.

Thank you for all your replies. THey are good news!