From: Tim Wescott on
On 08/06/2010 03:42 AM, Daku wrote:
> Thanks to all for your feedback. I had thought
> about the baud rate idea that Tim elaborated
> on, but the context in which I asked this question
> was Ethernet bits going from the MAC layer
> to the PHY layer at say 1 Gb/s or more (for the
> newer standards).

OOps -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_over_twisted_pair has a
link to IEEE 802.3.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Grant on
On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 09:00:08 -0700 (PDT), Daku <dakupoto(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Bit values may be inferred from the specified voltage levels,
>as in stabdard CMOS - analogous to a timing diagram.

And data framing? Bit and byte/word separation? A square wave conveys
no information until you agree on how to interpret it, frequency? So
you need to modulate the pulse train in some fashion, agreed beforehand
at both ends before you can convey information.

Basic information theory: sender and receiver must first agree on a
dictionary :)

Grant.

From: Grant on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 10:17:50 -0700, Tim Wescott <tim(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:

>On 08/06/2010 03:42 AM, Daku wrote:
>(top posting fixed)
>> On Aug 6, 3:25 am, "k...(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"<k...(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz>
>> wrote:

>>> Not really. Symbols are the stars in a constellation of stars. The symbol is
>>> the basic unit of information transferred. A constellation is a
>>> representation of the possible physical values (voltage, frequency, phase,
>>> whatever).
>>>
>>> A little more specifically, a symbol may be a specific value in the
>>> constellation or a transition from the current point to another.
>>
> > Thanks to all for your feedback. I had thought
> > about the baud rate idea that Tim elaborated
> > on, but the context in which I asked this question
> > was Ethernet bits going from the MAC layer
> > to the PHY layer at say 1 Gb/s or more (for the
> > newer standards).
>
>GB Ethernet uses 5-level signaling on four pairs of wires. I can't find
>a reference that gives the symbol rate; without forward error correction
>(FEC) it could be as low as 110MBaud. I don't believe this at all-- I'm
>sure there's at least some coding to keep the average voltage at 0 for
>transformer coupling, for error detection, and maybe even for error
>correction.

Rather magical, part of the training sequence (on copper) determines
cable length ;)

Grant.

From: Daku on
On Aug 8, 9:27 pm, Gareth <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> What exactly are you trying to do here? a bit of background may help
> answer your question. E.g. are you trying to send data down a cable? if
> so will it be synchronous or asynchronous? Is it just one way
> communication between two devices?
I am creating Verilog models of high-speed Ethernet protocols (e.g.,
>= 1Gbit/sec). All data movement is in between the sub-circuits of
an integrated circuit. However, some of the IEEE specification
documents that I have read do not mention any of the coding
schemes etc.