From: "Guus Ellenkamp" on
We use PHP defines for defining text in different languages. As far as I
know PHP files are supposed to be ASCII, not UTF-8 or something like that.
What I want to make is a conversion program that would convert a given UTF-8
file with the format

definetext1=this is a text in random UTF-8, probably arabic or similar text
definetext2=this is another text in random UTF-8, probably arabic or similar
text

into a file with the following defines

define('definetext1',chr(<t_value>).chr(<h_value>).chr(<i_value>)...<chr(<x_value>).chr(<t_value>));
define('definetext2,chr(<t_value>).chr(<h_value>).chr(<i_value>)...<chr(<x_value>).chr(<t_value>));

Not sure if I'm using the correct chr/ord function, but I hope the above is
clear enough to make clear what I'm looking for. Basically the output file
should be ascii and not contain any utf-8.

Any advise? The html_special_chars did not seem to work for Vietnamese text
I tried to convert, so something seems to get wrong with just reading an
array of strings and converting the strings and putting them in defines.

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 22:20 +0800, Guus Ellenkamp wrote:

> We use PHP defines for defining text in different languages. As far as I
> know PHP files are supposed to be ASCII, not UTF-8 or something like that.
> What I want to make is a conversion program that would convert a given UTF-8
> file with the format
>
> definetext1=this is a text in random UTF-8, probably arabic or similar text
> definetext2=this is another text in random UTF-8, probably arabic or similar
> text
>
> into a file with the following defines
>
> define('definetext1',chr(<t_value>).chr(<h_value>).chr(<i_value>)...<chr(<x_value>).chr(<t_value>));
> define('definetext2,chr(<t_value>).chr(<h_value>).chr(<i_value>)...<chr(<x_value>).chr(<t_value>));
>
> Not sure if I'm using the correct chr/ord function, but I hope the above is
> clear enough to make clear what I'm looking for. Basically the output file
> should be ascii and not contain any utf-8.
>
> Any advise? The html_special_chars did not seem to work for Vietnamese text
> I tried to convert, so something seems to get wrong with just reading an
> array of strings and converting the strings and putting them in defines.

PHP files can contain utf-8, and in-fact is the preference of most
developers I know of.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: "Guus Ellenkamp" on
Thanks, but are you sure of that? I did some research a while ago and found
that officially PHP files should be ascii and not have any specific
character encoding. I believe it will work anyhow (did not try this one),
but would like to stick with the standards.

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 21:45 +0800, Guus Ellenkamp wrote:

> Thanks, but are you sure of that? I did some research a while ago and found
> that officially PHP files should be ascii and not have any specific
> character encoding. I believe it will work anyhow (did not try this one),
> but would like to stick with the standards.
>
> "Ashley Sheridan" <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 22:20 +0800, Guus Ellenkamp wrote:
> >
> >> We use PHP defines for defining text in different languages. As far as I
> >> know PHP files are supposed to be ASCII, not UTF-8 or something like
> >> that.
> >> What I want to make is a conversion program that would convert a given
> >> UTF-8
> >> file with the format
> >>
> >> definetext1=this is a text in random UTF-8, probably arabic or similar
> >> text
> >> definetext2=this is another text in random UTF-8, probably arabic or
> >> similar
> >> text
> >>
> >> into a file with the following defines
> >>
> >> define('definetext1',chr(<t_value>).chr(<h_value>).chr(<i_value>)...<chr(<x_value>).chr(<t_value>));
> >> define('definetext2,chr(<t_value>).chr(<h_value>).chr(<i_value>)...<chr(<x_value>).chr(<t_value>));
> >>
> >> Not sure if I'm using the correct chr/ord function, but I hope the above
> >> is
> >> clear enough to make clear what I'm looking for. Basically the output
> >> file
> >> should be ascii and not contain any utf-8.
> >>
> >> Any advise? The html_special_chars did not seem to work for Vietnamese
> >> text
> >> I tried to convert, so something seems to get wrong with just reading an
> >> array of strings and converting the strings and putting them in defines.
> >>

> > PHP files can contain utf-8, and in-fact is the preference of most
> > developers I know of.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ash
> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Very sure, ever PHP file I ever make is always in utf8. The only problem
you might encounter is when outputting HTML, you should make sure that
you output the right text encoding headers, as some browsers won't
correctly detect it and can tend to output utf-8 characters as random
blocks and other characters.

From: Adam Richardson on
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Guus Ellenkamp
<Ellenkamp_Guus(a)hotmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks, but are you sure of that? I did some research a while ago and found
> that officially PHP files should be ascii and not have any specific
> character encoding. I believe it will work anyhow (did not try this one),
> but would like to stick with the standards.
>
> "Ashley Sheridan" <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 22:20 +0800, Guus Ellenkamp wrote:
> >
> >> We use PHP defines for defining text in different languages. As far as I
> >> know PHP files are supposed to be ASCII, not UTF-8 or something like
> >> that.
> >> What I want to make is a conversion program that would convert a given
> >> UTF-8
> >> file with the format
> >>
> >> definetext1=this is a text in random UTF-8, probably arabic or similar
> >> text
> >> definetext2=this is another text in random UTF-8, probably arabic or
> >> similar
> >> text
> >>
> >> into a file with the following defines
> >>

> define('definetext1',chr(<t_value>).chr(<h_value>).chr(<i_value>)...<chr(<x_value>).chr(<t_value>));
> >>
> define('definetext2,chr(<t_value>).chr(<h_value>).chr(<i_value>)...<chr(<x_value>).chr(<t_value>));
> >>
> >> Not sure if I'm using the correct chr/ord function, but I hope the above
> >> is
> >> clear enough to make clear what I'm looking for. Basically the output
> >> file
> >> should be ascii and not contain any utf-8.
> >>
> >> Any advise? The html_special_chars did not seem to work for Vietnamese
> >> text
> >> I tried to convert, so something seems to get wrong with just reading an
> >> array of strings and converting the strings and putting them in defines.
> >>

> > PHP files can contain utf-8, and in-fact is the preference of most
> > developers I know of.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ash
> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Because the lower range of UTF-8 matches the ascii character set
(intentionally by design), you'll be able to use UTF-8 for PHP files without
problem (i.e., ascii 7-bit chars have same encoding in UTF-8.)
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

However, if you were to use any of the multibyte characters of UTF-8 in a
PHP file, you could run in to some trouble. I use UTF-8 for most of my PHP
files, but I've been sticking to the ASCII subset exclusively.

Adam

--
Nephtali: PHP web framework that functions beautifully
http://nephtaliproject.com
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Problem in image placing