From: Leonard Grey on
Please note that switching from a 40GB hard drive to an 80GB hard drive
does not affect the performance of a computer in any way that you can
measure. If you noticed increased performance after adding the new hard
drive, it was caused by something else.

The speed of a computer depends on many things, including hardware and
software. Given your description, it appears that you have an older
computer. It is normal and expected for an older computer to run slower
as you add newer, more resource-intensive software.

To keep your computer running as fast as it can, here are some general tips:

1- Keep your computer free of malware.
2- Try to reduce the number of resource-intensive applictions running in
the background.
3- 512MB is a relatively small amount to have for today's software. You
will realize improved performance by increasing your installed RAM to
1MB or more.
4- Operate your computer only in ways that are supported. For example:
don't tinker with virtual memory or run registry cleaners.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

From: Leonard Grey on
I never thought I would ever say this, but here goes...

For years, I was a card-carrying (Gold Card) member of the Norton Haters
Club. And for good reason.

Then, just for the heck of it, I tried Norton Internet Security 2009.
My, what a difference. Like Marie Osmond before and after Nutrisystem.
Other things I hated about Symantec - technical support, heavy
footprint, built-in advertising, trouble uninstalling - were no longer
problems. I looked for things to hate about NIS 2009, but couldn't find any.

And, for the record, the software runs on my soon-to-be replaced 7-year
old P4 2.26GHz 1GB of RAM computer. I am impressed.

I'm currently using NAV 2010, and really liking it. So let those rotton
vegetables fly in the general direction of my face...I can take it.

PS #1: I'm using NAV instead of NIS because of a personal choice I made
with respect to third-party firewalls.

PS #2: I may have converted to NAV personally, but I don't recommend any
software product to anyone. Everyone has to make their own decision, is
my view.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

From: Leonard Grey on
Is that a statement about software, or are you inferring the reason I
got married?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est