From: Casey Hawthorne on
Could another characterization of NP-hard problems be that their naive
algorithmic solution (e.g. permutations) is factorial; whereas, a
dynamic programming algorithm is exponential?
e.g. symmetric metric TSP using naive permutations is O(n!), whereas
using using dynamic programming TSP it is O((n^2)(2^n)).

--
Regards,
Casey
From: Daniel A. Jimenez on
In article <iff0u55vd0cvnet7a7ufu9rtg289b7tvss(a)4ax.com>,
Casey Hawthorne <caseyhHAMMER_TIME(a)istar.ca> wrote:
>Could another characterization of NP-hard problems be that their naive
>algorithmic solution (e.g. permutations) is factorial; whereas, a
>dynamic programming algorithm is exponential?
>e.g. symmetric metric TSP using naive permutations is O(n!), whereas
>using using dynamic programming TSP it is O((n^2)(2^n)).

No. The naive algorithm for SAT is "only" O(n 2^n).
--
Daniel Jimenez djimenez(a)cs.utexas.edu
"I've so much music in my head" -- Maurice Ravel, shortly before his death.
From: tchow on
In article <iff0u55vd0cvnet7a7ufu9rtg289b7tvss(a)4ax.com>,
Casey Hawthorne <caseyhHAMMER_TIME(a)istar.ca> wrote:
>Could another characterization of NP-hard problems be that their naive
>algorithmic solution (e.g. permutations) is factorial; whereas, a
>dynamic programming algorithm is exponential?
>e.g. symmetric metric TSP using naive permutations is O(n!), whereas
>using using dynamic programming TSP it is O((n^2)(2^n)).

Nice thought, but I don't think so. Take satisfiability, the canonical
NP-complete problem. I would say that the naive solution is to try all
possible variable assignments, which takes exponential time, and not
factorial time.
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
The range of our projectiles---even ... the artillery---however great, will
From: Torben �gidius Mogensen on
tchow(a)lsa.umich.edu writes:

> In article <iff0u55vd0cvnet7a7ufu9rtg289b7tvss(a)4ax.com>,
> Casey Hawthorne <caseyhHAMMER_TIME(a)istar.ca> wrote:
>>Could another characterization of NP-hard problems be that their naive
>>algorithmic solution (e.g. permutations) is factorial; whereas, a
>>dynamic programming algorithm is exponential?
>
> Nice thought, but I don't think so. Take satisfiability, the canonical
> NP-complete problem. I would say that the naive solution is to try all
> possible variable assignments, which takes exponential time, and not
> factorial time.

Another example is k-colouring a graph: The naive approach is to try all
N^k colour combinations, which is also exponential.

But I think you (with a suitably vague notion of "simple") can say the
following:

If there is no simple sub-exponential way to bring the number of
potential solutions down to less than exponential, but you in polynomial
time can determine which of two potential solutions is best (or if they
are equally good), then the problem of finding an optimal solution is in
NP.

If P!=NP, then the word "simple" can be eliminated, but if P=NP, then
there _will_ be a sub-exponential way to reduce the number of potential
solutions. So if you want to avoid showing that a known NP problem can
be reduced to your problem, I don't think you can avoid vagueness in
statements like the above.

Torben