From: Tony Arcieri on

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Allan Davis <javaalley(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Passenger currently does not have a windows version. I was thinking of
> trying to work on that. See if that would improve our environment.

Hey member of the NetBeans Dream Team guy, you considered using JRuby on
Windows? :)

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand

From: Ammar Ali on

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM, andrew mcelroy <sophrinix(a)gmail.com>wrote:

> Surely there has to be an llvm compiler for windows.
> It depends on what you are using it for.

Interesting. The last time I tried to pass ruby's code through clang it
choked on the __asm__ keywords in vm.c. I admit that it was a half hearted
effort and I didn't try to figure out if there were options that would make
it work. I hope to give it another try soon. Do you know of any documented
successful compilations on linux?

Thanks,
Ammar

From: Ammar Ali on

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Ammar Ali <ammarabuali(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM, andrew mcelroy <sophrinix(a)gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> Surely there has to be an llvm compiler for windows.
>> It depends on what you are using it for.
>>

> Interesting. The last time I tried to pass ruby's code through clang it
> choked on the __asm__ keywords in vm.c. I admit that it was a half hearted
> effort and I didn't try to figure out if there were options that would make
> it work. I hope to give it another try soon. Do you know of any documented
> successful compilations on linux?
>
> Thanks,
> Ammar

That should have been vm_exec.c, not vm.c

From: andrew mcelroy on
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Ammar Ali <ammarabuali(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Ammar Ali <ammarabuali(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM, andrew mcelroy <sophrinix(a)gmail.com>wrote:
>>

>>> Surely there has to be an llvm compiler for windows.
>>> It depends on what you are using it for.
>>>

>> Interesting. The last time I tried to pass ruby's code through clang it
>> choked on the __asm__ keywords in vm.c. I admit that it was a half hearted
>> effort and I didn't try to figure out if there were options that would make
>> it work. I hope to give it another try soon. Do you know of any documented
>> successful compilations on linux?

It's not Linux, but it might work.
http://joneslee85.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/howto-compile-ruby-1-9-2-head-with-clang-svn-head-on-mac-os-x-10-6-3/

Andrew McElroy
tryruby.org

From: David Masover on
On Wednesday, July 14, 2010 02:55:11 pm Allan Davis wrote:
> I am trying to figure out which would be the best C++ compiler to install
> on my system. I am forced to develop on windows for my job, and I wanted
> to look into developing a ruby extension and apache mod.

I'm sure you know, but in case you don't, Ruby runs well enough on Windows
without Apache, and there are dozens of other webservers you could use. If
Apache is a requirement, you could still stick Ruby server(s) behind it.

> I was debating between cygwin, mingw or ms cpp express. Can someone give
> me a best recomendation?

Visual C++, according to this page:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/platform/win_compiling.html

More generally, it depends how portable the code you're working with is, and
how much work you're willing to do to make it "native". MS CPP produces the
most native, probably best and fastest binaries with the fewest third-party
dependencies, while Cygwin installs an entire third-party Unix subsystem.

Where I've seen mingw used, it's a nice, happy medium -- a beautiful example
is Git for Windows, which packs everything you need to get a Bash prompt with
a functional Git (and git-gui, and gitk) into under 12 megs. That's including
all kinds of stuff like less, grep, vim, tar/bzip2, OpenSSH... It basically
feels like Cygwin lite.

But if you can make it work with Visual C++, go with that.