From: Webbiz on
Greetings!

I'm in the process of learning about Reg-Free COM.

At the MSDN website (link below), I was able to successfully follow
along with the examples up to Step 7.

In Step 7, however, there is some code and discussion about GUID
values and placeholders. I'm lost here. It does not tell me what to do
with this code if anything.

I did run my DLL through the Oleview.exe tool to check it out, but I
really don't know what the heck I'm looking at.

Anyway, in Step 8 my 'client.exe' is suppose to run fine although my
SideBySide.dll is no longer registered. It worked fine when
registered, and it gave me the expected error when not registered
before creating the two .manifest files. Unfortunately, I still get
the '429' error even with the two .manifest files created as
instructed.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Webbiz
From: C. Kevin Provance on
"Webbiz" <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote in message
| Greetings!
|
| I'm in the process of learning about Reg-Free COM.
|
| At the MSDN website (link below), I was able to successfully follow
| along with the examples up to Step 7.
|
| http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms973913.aspx
|
| In Step 7, however, there is some code and discussion about GUID
| values and placeholders. I'm lost here. It does not tell me what to do
| with this code if anything.
|
| I did run my DLL through the Oleview.exe tool to check it out, but I
| really don't know what the heck I'm looking at.
|
| Anyway, in Step 8 my 'client.exe' is suppose to run fine although my
| SideBySide.dll is no longer registered. It worked fine when
| registered, and it gave me the expected error when not registered
| before creating the two .manifest files. Unfortunately, I still get
| the '429' error even with the two .manifest files created as
| instructed.

I have - somewhere - a working example of RegFree COM using Karl's ccrpTimer
DLL, which shows how to do what you are attempting to do. If you want to
see it, mail me. kevin at tpasoft dot com.

From: Webbiz on
On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:32:51 -0500, "C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote:

>"Webbiz" <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote in message
>| Greetings!
>|
>| I'm in the process of learning about Reg-Free COM.
>|
>| At the MSDN website (link below), I was able to successfully follow
>| along with the examples up to Step 7.
>|
>| http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms973913.aspx
>|
>| In Step 7, however, there is some code and discussion about GUID
>| values and placeholders. I'm lost here. It does not tell me what to do
>| with this code if anything.
>|
>| I did run my DLL through the Oleview.exe tool to check it out, but I
>| really don't know what the heck I'm looking at.
>|
>| Anyway, in Step 8 my 'client.exe' is suppose to run fine although my
>| SideBySide.dll is no longer registered. It worked fine when
>| registered, and it gave me the expected error when not registered
>| before creating the two .manifest files. Unfortunately, I still get
>| the '429' error even with the two .manifest files created as
>| instructed.
>
>I have - somewhere - a working example of RegFree COM using Karl's ccrpTimer
>DLL, which shows how to do what you are attempting to do. If you want to
>see it, mail me. kevin at tpasoft dot com.

Email sent. Thank you!

Webbiz
From: MM on
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 18:21:49 -0600, Webbiz <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote:

>Greetings!
>
>I'm in the process of learning about Reg-Free COM.

[snip]

The place you need to go - run, don't walk! - is the Make My Manifest
website: http://mmm4vb6.atom5.com/

I use a manifest instead of an installation package and my VB6 app
runs on XP, Vista and Windows 7. It was developed, and is currently
being enhanced, on Windows 98 SE, which is my usual OS.

Even if you're not interested in learning piano, you can download
KTN2025.ZIP (1.5mb) from here http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/ktn/
and view the manifest file and compare it with the folder structure.

I'm not saying it is easy as this in all cases, for it will depend (!)
on which COM DLLs your app needs, but it works for me!

MM
From: Webbiz on
On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 08:14:55 +0000, MM <kylix_is(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 18:21:49 -0600, Webbiz <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote:
>
>>Greetings!
>>
>>I'm in the process of learning about Reg-Free COM.
>
>[snip]
>
>The place you need to go - run, don't walk! - is the Make My Manifest
>website: http://mmm4vb6.atom5.com/
>
>I use a manifest instead of an installation package and my VB6 app
>runs on XP, Vista and Windows 7. It was developed, and is currently
>being enhanced, on Windows 98 SE, which is my usual OS.
>
>Even if you're not interested in learning piano, you can download
>KTN2025.ZIP (1.5mb) from here http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/ktn/
>and view the manifest file and compare it with the folder structure.
>
>I'm not saying it is easy as this in all cases, for it will depend (!)
>on which COM DLLs your app needs, but it works for me!
>
>MM

Thanks MM.

Curious... "Windows 98 SE, which is my usual OS".

Windows 98 is your usual OS? Why so far in the dark ages?

Thanks again.

Webbiz