From: Dan on
After a couple of days of playing around with samba I have been ablke to
get linux to share files with xp, but cannot figure out how to get linux
to access shared files on xp. Anyone have a clue as too whether you can
do this at the same time and if so how? I am running ubuntu 10.04 and
samba4.

--
Nightwind65
From: Aragorn on
On Friday 02 July 2010 04:06 in comp.os.linux.networking, somebody
identifying as Dan wrote...

> After a couple of days of playing around with samba I have been ablke
> to get linux to share files with xp, but cannot figure out how to get
> linux to access shared files on xp. Anyone have a clue as too whether
> you can do this at the same time and if so how? I am running ubuntu
> 10.04 and samba4.

Samba actually consists of *two* packages. One is the server package,
for making a UNIX system appear as an NT server to Windows clients over
the network. If you want the UNIX machine to access a Windows share
over the network, you need the Samba *client* package.

Try...

apt-get samba-client

.... or something similar. (I'm not really familiar with Ubuntu's
repositories.)

There are various ways of mounting a Samba share. Consult the
documentation for the Samba client package and the /man/ pages
for "mount" and "fstab" for further details.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: mjt on
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 02:06:02 GMT
Dan <seller65(a)fusemail.com> wrote:

> After a couple of days of playing around with samba I have been ablke to
> get linux to share files with xp, but cannot figure out how to get linux
> to access shared files on xp. Anyone have a clue as too whether you can
> do this at the same time and if so how? I am running ubuntu 10.04 and

Do you have the samba client installed?
smbclient -L servername
then run smbmount to mount a listed share

Is your smb.conf file configured correctly?

Have you checked the firewall settings on the
Window's side? Might browse around in here:
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch10_:_Windows,_Linux,_and_Samba

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO-8.html

Have you tried the smb URL? smb://ip_address_of_xp_machine

--
BE ALERT!!!! (The world needs more lerts ...)
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-07-02, mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you have the samba client installed?
> smbclient -L servername
> then run smbmount to mount a listed share

You can also simply use smbclient to view the share somewhat like a
command-line ftp client. This isn't all that interesting, but it can
help troubleshoot password or home directory issues without having to
muck with fstab.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)