From: John WEC on
Hi Guys

I got one for you. I have a sheet that I record football match results in,
by entering a score in one cell like this: 1-1 or 2-1 or 2-2
I have a number of friends who attempt to predict the outcome of the games,
and they score points depending on how accurate their prediction is. Points
are scored as follows:

Score exactly right - 30 points
Correct result, wrong score, but correct goal difference - 15 points
Correct result, wrong score, and wrong goal difference - 10 points
Correct draw, but wrong score - 20 points
Wrong result entirely - minus 10 points

I have 48 matches listed (the group games in the upcoming World Cup) and I
will have upwards of 100 people submitting predictions. All the match
results will be entered in one column, in consecutive rows, and all the
corresponding predictions will be entered in the same rows in alternate
columns to the right. (So each entrant will have 2 columns, one for their
predictions, and one for their points to appear).

Is there a way I can come up with a function/formula that will check all the
predictions against the actual match results as I enter them, and then
allocate the correct number of points to each person?

I am using Excel 2002.

I would really appreciate it if someone could come up with the answer to
this beauty!!

Thanks