From: rseb on
I have a few questions. Hope you can help me on this. How DC Offset is
introduced in a digital signal? Is it introduced by analog front-end or by
ADC? Also please explain me is it possible for ADC to determines the analog
signal mean?

Regards,
RSeb.

From: John Monro on
rseb wrote:
> I have a few questions. Hope you can help me on this. How DC Offset is
> introduced in a digital signal? Is it introduced by analog front-end or by
> ADC? Also please explain me is it possible for ADC to determines the analog
> signal mean?
>
> Regards,
> RSeb.

A DC imbalance in the analog front-end or in the ADC will
cause an offset in the digital signal, and the DC will be
independant of signal level.

Another possibility: If an asymmetrical signal goes out of
the range of the ADC on either the positive or negative
peaks then the resulting digital signal will have a DC
offset. In this case the DC disappears for low-amplitude
signals.

Regards,
John
From: Michael Plante on
>Also please explain me is it possible for ADC to determines the analog
>signal mean?

Why not determine it digitally? If you just want to remove the offset,
you might look at AC coupling. Also, some ADCs have built-in offset
removal. One I've examined closely doesn't explicitly say, but it appeared
it probably subtracted the result of a very strong digital low pass filter
(the startup time was probably equivalent to about 100k samples), as it
provides the current mean value in a register, regardless of whether you've
enabled the removal of that mean.

Another question you'll have to answer is "how long do I average for"?
Depending on the precision you need, your mean may vary over time.

From: rseb on
Thanks Michael and John for the answers.
I also want to understand how ADC does it's job. If the analog signal
amplitude is in the range +5V to 0V which voltage ADC take as 0(digital).
Will it be 2.5V ?

From: rseb on

>Another possibility: If an asymmetrical signal goes out of
>the range of the ADC on either the positive or negative
>peaks then the resulting digital signal will have a DC
>offset.

John, Could you explain how this will happen?
Thanks
RSeb