From: Josh L on
Would it be possible to implement this DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange)
solution In OpenOffice Calc? I am not interested or capable of
following any instructions that are more complex than this. I had to
stop using Open Office last year because I could not get an answer I
could understand on this question.

This is from the readme.txt file provided by Thomson Financial:

From: jay m on

Josh L wrote:
> Would it be possible to implement this DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange)
> solution In OpenOffice Calc? I am not interested or capable of
> following any instructions that are more complex than this. I had to
> stop using Open Office last year because I could not get an answer I
> could understand on this question.

I thought that DDE was superceded by OLE (Object Linking and
Embedding).
I understand that the capability is there, but expanded by the use of
objects.

Now- What are you trying to do - get data into Calc, or out of it?

From: Josh L on

Hi:

I'm trying to get data into Calc. To mirror what I'm doing now with
Excel (only because Calc failed me on this point), once I get data
into Excel, I can readily share it with colleagues, when necessary,
simply by copying and pasting the final text (not the DDE formulas).

I think you are quite correct that DDE was superceded. However, the
software I'm using has many users around the world, and once a stable
and widely-used important application is built, I think they are
perhaps reluctant to re-write it to do the latest with it. This setup
is somewhat idiot-proofed, so that even someone like me can set it up
on their own. All I did, as previously mentioned, was copy three
files from the proprietary software folder and put it into the Office
folder and then I was good-to-go. I received good support from
Thomson Financial, for setting this up in Excel (there has been some
later need for support, on some points). While the support was good
(not perfect, but good) they were not the least bit interested in
extending the discussion to other spreadsheet programs or to OLE.

From: jay m on
Upon re-reading your original request, and noting the use of DLLs and
such, my previous commens may not be terribly useful.
It would be intersting to see the .xla sheet, but it seems like you
may need Excel at least to establish the link to your software.
If you have a sheet which is linked to your software you might be able
to link to it with Calc, but it seems doubtfull.

Good luck- I think this is out of my depth.
Sincerely
Jay

From: Josh L on

I read your private email and it was well beyond me.

I'd be more motivated to get this done in Calc if I had to, but at
this point it is just a forensic desire to impart to the folks at Sun
and at Openoffice.org that this particular lack of capability (and
lack of strong tech support from Sun) was a clear point in my path
that forced me to buy Excel. There really was little choice.