From: steve on
We are having some problems with our Linux DNS computer on a windows
network.

Most sites we can get to but others we cannot. The site comes up not
found.

One of the simple questions I have is how can I know when I change the
dns address if its working.

In other words, Its my understading that I simply need to add to the
file /etc/resolv.conf a line like

nameserver 8.8.8.8
And that affectively adds the dns number. However Does this change the
moment I add this line to the file. Or is there somethign else I need
to do. eg if I start to suf the web from a windows machine that is
using this linux comptuer as a dns is it changed. I have looked high
and low for a command to tell me what the (active) dns is on linux and
the only responses I can find are look in the resolv.conf file. But
just becasue its in the resolv.conf file doesnt mean its using this
NEW dns number. (unless that the way it works.) I wish there was a
commadn line in windows like ipconfig /all which shows it. Is the such
a command in linux? or if its in the resolve file does it just work?

By the way here are my nslookup results. the web site itravel2000.com
(amonst others we cant get to )
But google we can.??

> [root(a)smclinux ~]# nslookup itravel2000.com

[root(a)smclinux ~]# nslookup www.google.com
Server: 192.168.1.1
Address: 192.168.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
www.google.com canonical name = www.l.google.com.
Name: www.l.google.com
Address: 74.125.95.99
Name: www.l.google.com
Address: 74.125.95.104
Name: www.l.google.com
Address: 74.125.95.105
Name: www.l.google.com
Address: 74.125.95.147
Name: www.l.google.com
Address: 74.125.95.106
Name: www.l.google.com
Address: 74.125.95.103

[root(a)smclinux ~]#
From: Chris Davies on
steve <stevesemple(a)lycos.com> wrote:
> We are having some problems with our Linux DNS computer on a windows
> network.

> In other words, Its my understading that I simply need to add to the
> file /etc/resolv.conf a line like
> nameserver 8.8.8.8
> And that affectively adds the dns number.

Pretty much, yes. If you're trying to debug this stuff make sure you've
removed (or commented out) any other nameserver entry here. Also, be
aware that /etc/resolv.conf can be updated via DHCP, so your change may
get overwritten. (There are ways round this, but its out of scope
for now.)

> However Does this change the moment I add this line to the file. Or
> is there somethign else I need to do.

It changes from the instant you write out the new version of the file.

> eg if I start to suf the web from a windows machine that is
> using this linux comptuer as a dns is it changed.

In most instances the DNS is checked via /etc/resolv.conf each time you
need a name resolved. Obvious exceptions are when you're using a web
proxy, or when DNS is configured to use your Windows WINS service for
name resolution.

> I have looked high and low for a command to tell me what the (active)
> dns is on linux and the only responses I can find are look in the
> resolv.conf file.

Provided that names are being resolved via DNS, this is correct. But
names can also be resolved via other services - and also in the file
/etc/hosts. The *usual* networked method is to look names up using DNS.

> But just becasue its in the resolv.conf file doesnt mean its using this
> NEW dns number. (unless that the way it works.) I wish there was a
> commadn line in windows like ipconfig /all which shows it. Is the such
> a command in linux? or if its in the resolve file does it just work?

It just works.

> By the way here are my nslookup results. the web site itravel2000.com
> (amonst others we cant get to ) But google we can.??

> [root(a)smclinux ~]# nslookup itravel2000.com

> [root(a)smclinux ~]# nslookup www.google.com
> Server: 192.168.1.1
> Address: 192.168.1.1#53

Is 192.168.1.1 your linux box? If not, then you need to look there for
your DNS resolving problem, first.

Chris
From: GangGreene on
steve wrote:

> In other words, Its my understading that I simply need to add to the
> file /etc/resolv.conf a line like

Correct

> nameserver 8.8.8.8
> And that affectively adds the dns number. However Does this change the
> moment I add this line to the file. Or is there somethign else I need
> to do. eg if I start to suf the web from a windows machine that is
> using this linux comptuer as a dns is it changed. I have looked high
> and low for a command to tell me what the (active) dns is on linux and
> the only responses I can find are look in the resolv.conf file. But
> just becasue its in the resolv.conf file doesnt mean its using this
> NEW dns number. (unless that the way it works.) I wish there was a
> commadn line in windows like ipconfig /all which shows it. Is the such
> a command in linux? or if its in the resolve file does it just work?

Immediate

> By the way here are my nslookup results. the web site itravel2000.com
> (amonst others we cant get to )
> But google we can.??
>
>> [root(a)smclinux ~]# nslookup itravel2000.com

Your DNS server is not working/faulty

$ nslookup itravel2000.com
Server: 192.168.1.6
Address: 192.168.1.6#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: itravel2000.com
Address: 66.252.144.103

From: David Schwartz on
On Mar 2, 7:11 am, steve <stevesem...(a)lycos.com> wrote:

> In other words, Its my understading that I simply need to add to the
> file /etc/resolv.conf a line like
>
> nameserver 8.8.8.8
> And that affectively adds the dns number.

To this machine's resolver.

> However Does this change the
> moment I add this line to the file.

It's instant, unless you are running a DNS cache of some kind. If
you're running a DNS cache, you should flush it.

> Or is there somethign else I need
> to do. eg if I start to suf the web from a windows machine that is
> using this linux comptuer as a dns is it changed.

It will have no effect on the name server on this computer, only on
the resolver, unless you are using a nameserver that uses the system
resolver. Some don't (such as bind) and some do (such as dropbear).

DS
From: steve on
thanks
Im going to have to do some more research and probably get back to
this group for further help.