From: Olumide on
Hi -

I would like to simulate human hair as an n-body pendulum system.
However, the equations of the system are such that the system is
undamped and thus oscillate forever. For example, (2-body pendulum):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_pendulum

I would like to to incorporate the energy loss due to drag. What form
would this energy loss take?

Thanks,

- Olumide

From: Androcles on

"Olumide" <50295(a)web.de> wrote in message
| Hi -
|
| I would like to simulate human hair as an n-body pendulum system.
| However, the equations of the system are such that the system is
| undamped and thus oscillate forever. For example, (2-body pendulum):
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_pendulum
|
| I would like to to incorporate the energy loss due to drag. What form
| would this energy loss take?
|
| Thanks,
|
| - Olumide

Simple enough. Reduce the angular velocity the pendulum arms
swing through and radiate the energy difference as sound and/or
heat from friction in the joints (bearings). If your joint is a bending
of the hair it still warms up with flexing, the same way car tyres warm
up as you flex them. Listen to a car passing by (carefully) and ignore
the sound of the engine. The tyres hiss, quite loudly, radiating sound.

From: eratosthenes on
On Aug 3, 9:20 pm, "Androcles" <Headmas...(a)Hogwarts.physics_z> wrote:
> | I would like to to incorporate the energy loss due to drag. What form
> | would this energy loss take?

That is not terribly difficult to derive, although generalizing to n-
bodies and obtaining a useful solution may be another matter. T get
the Lagrangian for the system you need the following, where % is the
angle with the vertical:

x = L * cos(%)
y = - L * sin(%)

dx/dt = L * sin(%) * d%/dt
dy/dt = L * cos(%) * d&/dt

The damping can be modeled as a generalized force, call it friction,
viscosity or whatever you like and give A the appropriate units:

F_x = - A * L * cos(%) * d&/dt
F_x = - A * L * sin(%) * d&/dt

From there the basic one dimensional derivation is cake, the rest is
up to you.

Patrick
From: Androcles on

"eratosthenes" <rehamkcirtap(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
| I would like to to incorporate the energy loss due to drag. What form
| would this energy loss take?

Why would you want to do that, snipping daehtihs(a)gmail.com?