From: Lars Nooden on
(Moving this from Users@ where it does not belong, over to discuss@
where it is on-topic.)

On 04/17/2010 11:08 PM, Dave Barton wrote:

>> 2010/1/30 Lars Nooden<larsnooden(a)openoffice.org>:
>>> The  Sun ODF plugin can be found here still
[snip]
> The subsequent "Download Now" link goes to the Oracle on-line store,
> which does not appear offer any download purchase option.

Back in January it was still free of charge and the change looks recent.

> Are Oracle trying to put another roadblock in the uptake of ODF?

Or a roadblock in the update of OOo, because the plugin was the only way
for MS Office users to produce files in OpenOffice.org's default format,
the OpenDocument Format.

A broken link is one thing, but a price change implies that a larhger
number of Oracle staff were involved and not all may be on the same page
as the CEO.

/Lars

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: NoOp on
On 04/18/2010 03:29 AM, Lars Nooden wrote:
> (Moving this from Users@ where it does not belong, over to discuss@
> where it is on-topic.)

> [snip]
>> The subsequent "Download Now" link goes to the Oracle on-line store,
>> which does not appear offer any download purchase option.
>
> Back in January it was still free of charge and the change looks recent.
>
>> Are Oracle trying to put another roadblock in the uptake of ODF?
>
> Or a roadblock in the update of OOo, because the plugin was the only way
> for MS Office users to produce files in OpenOffice.org's default format,
> the OpenDocument Format.
>
> A broken link is one thing, but a price change implies that a larhger
> number of Oracle staff were involved and not all may be on the same page
> as the CEO.

Or are... Larry may need to pay for his America's Cup yacht :-0

As mentioned on the users list, I was able to download via:

> Found that I can download it for free (I have a registered Sun account) via:
> <https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_SMI-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=ODF-3.2-WIN-G-F(a)CDS-CDS_SMI&Origin=ViewProductDetail-Start>
>
> More:
> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q="sun+odf+plugin"+%2B"3.2"&btnG=Search>

Admittedly I didn't read the license, so don't know if I'm in violation
(probably am). I did however notice that the first time that I brought
up an .odt in Word that the browser automatically opened & I was taken
to an Oracle registration page. Dismissed and subsequent .odt's no
longer do the same.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org