From: "Bob McConnell" on
From: tedd

>At 2:36 PM -0400 9/24/10, Bastien Koert wrote:

>>> Okay, what does creating "new systems for their clients" mean?
>>>
>>> What I want to know is specifically what these non-techie users
intend to
>>> do?
>>>
>>> Please don't answer that they want to set up accounts for their
clients
>>> because that is meaningless to me. That could mean anything.
>>>
>> > So, what specifically are these non-techie users going to do?
>>
>>Create a DB schema, create and populate tables.
>
> Creating a DB schema is not for non-techies -- you really need to
> know what you are doing to do this.
>
> But we all live with what we create.

I suspect he actually means create a new table using a predefined
schema. But unfortunately, he doesn't appear to know enough about the
problem to be able to explain it. He is either in way over his depth, or
hasn't done a very good job of defining his requirements.

Bob McConnell
From: Bastien Koert on
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Bob McConnell <rvm(a)cbord.com> wrote:
> From: tedd

> when
> since

> intend to

> clients
>>>>
>>>  > So, what specifically are these non-techie users going to do?
>>>
>>>Create a DB schema, create and populate tables.
>>
>> Creating a DB schema is not for non-techies -- you really need to
>> know what you are doing to do this.
>>
>> But we all live with what we create.
>
> I suspect he actually means create a new table using a predefined
> schema. But unfortunately, he doesn't appear to know enough about the
> problem to be able to explain it. He is either in way over his depth, or
> hasn't done a very good job of defining his requirements.
>
> Bob McConnell

The OP mentioned that each new client needed their own DB so that is
how I took it. Having exactly the exact same tables in the structure
with different names is just bad practice to. That just screams
creating a multi-tenant DB. At work we do create each DB as a clone of
a master table, but it is done manually and thankfully not that often.

--

Bastien

Cat, the other other white meat
From: Tom Barrett on
Thanks for the replies, they have been most enlightening. :)