From: Pat.Rick on
Hi Friends,
SQL 2008 - TDE encryption

I'm trying to apply TDE for one of my databases, all seems run fine,
except that when I run

SELECT db_name(database_id), encryption_state
FROM sys.dm_database_encryption_keys with (nolock)

after applying encryption to database, the state of encryption is 2
(Encryption in progress).
is this expected ? or it should be 3 (Encrypted) ?

Thanks in advance,
Pat
From: John Bell on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:13:05 -0700 (PDT), "Pat.Rick"
<patrickalexander.email(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Friends,
>SQL 2008 - TDE encryption
>
>I'm trying to apply TDE for one of my databases, all seems run fine,
>except that when I run
>
>SELECT db_name(database_id), encryption_state
>FROM sys.dm_database_encryption_keys with (nolock)
>
>after applying encryption to database, the state of encryption is 2
>(Encryption in progress).
>is this expected ? or it should be 3 (Encrypted) ?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Pat

This indicates the encryption process uis still in progress, whioch
you would have seen if you looked up the DMV details in books online
or at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb677274.aspx

Once encryption has completed it will change to 3, depending on the
size of your database it may have already finished!

John
From: Pat.Rick on
The status is not changing, it remains as 2 (in progress)
what should be checked ?

From: John Bell on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:16:02 -0700, Pat.Rick
<Pat.Rick(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The status is not changing, it remains as 2 (in progress)
>what should be checked ?
>

>"John Bell" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:13:05 -0700 (PDT), "Pat.Rick"
>> <patrickalexander.email(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi Friends,
>> >SQL 2008 - TDE encryption
>> >
>> >I'm trying to apply TDE for one of my databases, all seems run fine,
>> >except that when I run
>> >
>> >SELECT db_name(database_id), encryption_state
>> >FROM sys.dm_database_encryption_keys with (nolock)
>> >
>> >after applying encryption to database, the state of encryption is 2
>> >(Encryption in progress).
>> >is this expected ? or it should be 3 (Encrypted) ?
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance,
>> >Pat
>>
>> This indicates the encryption process uis still in progress, whioch
>> you would have seen if you looked up the DMV details in books online
>> or at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb677274.aspx
>>
>> Once encryption has completed it will change to 3, depending on the
>> size of your database it may have already finished!
>>

>> John

Hi

Hiow big is the database?

If the database is still being encrypted you would not be able to do a
database backup. If you can do a backup then check that is a binary
file and no readable data.

John