From: Mario on

"Mario" <pascal(a)po.t-com.hr> wrote in message
> On 04.04.2010. 20:04, Sylvain Lafontaine wrote:
>> The real problem is when you want to make changes to an existing
>> database.
>> With SSMS, you can generate a differential script when you make change to
>> table but you need to collect all of them along; which is not an easy
>> work.
>> Personally, I prefer to use a sql-server comparaison tool that can
>> compare
>> two different versions of a database and generate all the required
>> scripts
>> necessary to bring one identical to the other. Myself, I use the one
>> provided by Red-Gate but you can find many others on the internet, some
>> of
>> them free.
>>
>> Completely free tools:
>>
>> http://www.codeplex.com/OpenDBiff
>> http://www.codeplex.com/DbDiff
>>
>> Tools that are free if you are using SQL-Server Express:
>>
>> http://www.teratrax.com/tdc/
>> http://www.xsqlsoftware.com/LiteEdition.aspx
>>
>> Other free tools that can be useful:
>>
>> http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tools/64908/
>> http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic356421-283-1.aspx
>> http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Miscellaneous/2959/
>>
>> http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/mladenp/archive/2007/11/20/Free-SQL-Server-tools-that-might-make-your-life-a.aspx
>>
>> Some of those free tools to work with SSMS (not necessarily to compare
>> two
>> databases) won't work with the Expres edition (SSMS-E). Personally, I
>> think
>> that it's worth it to buy the Developer Edition of SQL-Server (around
>> 50$US)
>> to get access to the full version of SSMS instead of SSMS-E. If you're
>> serious about working with SQL-Server, 50$ is not a big deal.
>>

> Thank you on your great help. I will pass all that links. One more
> question is: How I will run generated script and will I get a permission
> from admistrator?

For scripts running, I also need an IP of SQL server, do I ?

From: Sylvain Lafontaine on
For running the scripts, you will have to have something on your web site to
run them against the web server. An easy way is simply to build an ASP.NET
page with all the scripts inside it and some command to run them. The
ASP.NET page could also open a file with the script in them, read it and
execute the scripts.

Some providers will offer you a web interface from which you can run your
script.

Having an IP for SQL-Server accessible from your personal computer (the
internet) is very useful and will greatly simplify the process of
creating/updating your databases. However, most hosts won't give you this
opportunity for security reasons and for those who do, the costs of the
hosting is usually much more higher because they have a lot more to do to
keep their systems secure.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Windows Live Platform

From: Mario on

"Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvainlafontaine2009(a)yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> For running the scripts, you will have to have something on your web site
> to run them against the web server. An easy way is simply to build an
> ASP.NET page with all the scripts inside it and some command to run them.
> The ASP.NET page could also open a file with the script in them, read it
> and execute the scripts.

Can I find the example of such aspx file ? What to google ?
> Some providers will offer you a web interface from which you can run your
> script.
I was looking on my DotNetPanel, but didn't find anything to run sql scripts
? DotNetPanel can only create database without tables creating capabilities.

> Having an IP for SQL-Server accessible from your personal computer (the
> internet) is very useful and will greatly simplify the process of
> creating/updating your databases. However, most hosts won't give you this
> opportunity for security reasons and for those who do, the costs of the
> hosting is usually much more higher because they have a lot more to do to
> keep their systems secure.

You are right. I ask my administrator and he said that it is not a usual
procedure to give me an IP for security reason, just like you said.

From: Mario on

I think I found it:
http://www.brighthub.com/internet/web-development/articles/9410.aspx

Thank you on your great help.