From: John Spencer on
One other remote possibility if you are using a linked backend and there are
copies of the backend out there for testing, development, or no known reason.
The user could be linked to a different backend.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

From: a a r o n . k e m p f on
Access / Jet randomly loses data.

It's just not a reliable system, not for a single record and a single
user.

It's time to upsize to SQL Server if you don't trust jet databases

-Aaron
MCITP: DBA

From: david on
You know, I had disappearing data once...

I added 'workgroup security' and removed the delete
permission from the data. (I gave the user a short-cut
for log-in).

Within minutes, while I was still sitting there, a user reported
an error, caused by the missing delete permission, and
conclusively indicating where the missing data was going.

In that case, we did not know where the data was going.

I thought our instructions and our user interface were clear,
but I was wrong. The client thought workgroup security
would not help, but they were wrong. The user thought he
was following process, but he was wrong.

Human error is the cause of almost all data corruption.

(david)

From: Larry Linson on
"a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.kempf(a)gmail.com> wrote

> Access / Jet randomly loses data.
> It's just not a reliable system, not for a single
> record and a single user.

Mr. Kempf's statements are both erroneous. Access / Jet does not "randomly
lose data", and it is quite reliable for everything from single user
databases to properly-implemented multiuser and client-server databases.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Office Access MVP

From: a a r o n . k e m p f on
BS - jet doesn't even support security any longer.

Jet isn't reliable or a reasonable option for even single-user
applications
Anything else you claim is just an excuse because you've got a midget-
sized db

-Aaron

On Feb 24, 10:22 pm, "Larry Linson" <boun...(a)localhost.not> wrote:
> "a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m" <aaron.ke...(a)gmail.com> wrote
>
>  > Access / Jet randomly loses data.
>  > It's just not a reliable system, not for a single
>  > record and a single user.
>
> Mr. Kempf's statements are both erroneous. Access / Jet does not "randomly
> lose data", and it is quite reliable for everything from single user
> databases to properly-implemented multiuser and client-server databases.
>
>  Larry Linson
>  Microsoft Office Access MVP

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3