From: Grumpy on
Please Help. I have two cells, A1, B1. In B1 I want the current date if A1
is populated. If A1 is not populated I would like the message "< Input" in
B2.

Here is my formula in B1: =IF(A1="","< Input",TODAY())

It should be so simple, but I can't seem to make it work. Can anyone tell
me what is wrong?? Thanx for your help.
From: Teethless mama on
I don't see anything wrong with the formula.
Make sure you set your calculation to Automatic.

From: jim on
in cell b1:

=IF(ISBLANK(A1),"< Input",TODAY())

format b1 to suit

Jim

From: ozgrid.com on
Your formulas works for me. Be aware though, ="" is NOT the same as A1 being
empty as a formula (in which case the cell is not empty) can return ""
(empty text). You MIGHT need;

=IF(ISBLANK(A1),"< Input",TODAY())

--
Regards
Dave Hawley

From: Dave Peterson on
Maybe you have a space character in A1.

You could select A1 and hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the contents
of that cell.

Or you could change your formula:
=if(trim(a1)="","< Input",Today())

If this doesn't help, make sure that you have calculation turned to automatic.
In xl2003 menus, it's under:
Tools|Options|Calculation tab

===
Just an aside, if A1 has something in it, your formula will return the current
date -- each day it'll change.

If you want that date to be static, you'll need a different approach.

Take a look at JE McGimpsey's site:
for a macro approach.

Grumpy wrote:

> Please Help. I have two cells, A1, B1. In B1 I want the current date if A1
> is populated. If A1 is not populated I would like the message "< Input" in
> B2.
>
> Here is my formula in B1: =IF(A1="","< Input",TODAY())
>
> It should be so simple, but I can't seem to make it work. Can anyone tell
> me what is wrong?? Thanx for your help.

--

Dave Peterson