From: Dave Howell on
I really really regret ever installing SnowLeopard.

I'm trying to build some HTML. I'd been using LibXML, but it's getting seriously anal-retentive on me, escaping stuff that I don't want escaped and complaining about not mixing documents. I figured I'd look for something that wouldn't keep interfering with me getting my work done.

Hmm! Looks like Nokogiri might do that, and it's already installed. Let's try that.

>> require 'nokogiri'
...no suitable image found. Did find: . . ./nokogiri.bundle: mach-o, but wrong architecture

$*@*X&#&%&*#&*@#*$*#&

Stupid SnowLeopard.

Fine!

$ gem uninstall nokogiri
[But lots of things depend on this!]
Yea, I know. Delete it anyway.

$ gem install nokogiri
zlib is missing. please visit http://nokogiri.org/tutorials/installing_nokogiri.html for help with installing dependencies.

[bang head on desk]

[visit nokogiri.org]

"Because Nokogiri needs to be compiled and dynamically linked against both libxml2 and libxslt, it has gained a reputation for being complicated to install. LetÂ’s wrassle this little myth to the ground, shall we?
The following should work on both Leopard and Snow Leopard:
sudo port install libxml2 libxslt
sudo gem install nokogiri"

I'm pretty sure I already did this. . . .

$ sudo port install libxml2 libxslt
---> Computing dependencies for libxml2
---> Cleaning libxml2
---> Computing dependencies for libxslt
---> Cleaning libxslt
$ sudo gem install nokogiri
zlib is missing.

Newsflash: Myth that nokogiri hard to install? Not wrassled to ground.
News Addenda: *Anything* that requires a port install is NOT easy to install. Installing MacPorts (a few months ago) was a nightmare.

gem tells me that I have some options:
--with-zlib-include
--without-zlib-include=${zlib-dir}/include
--with-zlib-lib
--without-zlib-lib=${zlib-dir}/lib

These absolutely mystify me. If i'm going to tell it I want it to install a gem WITHOUT a library, why would I tell it where the library is? I want to tell it to build WITH the library. THAT library. The one sitting RIGHT OVER THERE.

Well, at least I *think* it's over there. I have /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib -> libz.1.2.5.dylib. Is that some other library that does some other z-shaped thing? If not, how the heck do I make rubygems USE it?

$*@(#*$&*%)~!($ 64-bit library hell.

From: Ben Bleything on
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Dave Howell
<groups.2009a(a)grandfenwick.net> wrote:
> I really really regret ever installing SnowLeopard.

None of this is Snow Leopard's fault. Nokogiri works fine for me. Are
you using the stock Ruby? It doesn't look like it... and you should
be. The Ruby that ships with Snow Leopard just works.

Ben

From: John W Higgins on

Afternoon Dave,

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Dave Howell <groups.2009a(a)grandfenwick.net
> wrote:

> I really really regret ever installing SnowLeopard.

Watch your tongue here Dave - you are insulting an Apple product - you have
been warned! :)

I found a note about building curb which had the following as part of the
fix

sudo port install zlib +universal

Potentially that will get zlib in the right spot for you.

John

From: Dave Howell on

On Jun 17, 2010, at 11:51 , Ben Bleything wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Dave Howell
> <groups.2009a(a)grandfenwick.net> wrote:
>> I really really regret ever installing SnowLeopard.
>
> None of this is Snow Leopard's fault. Nokogiri works fine for me. Are
> you using the stock Ruby? It doesn't look like it... and you should
> be. The Ruby that ships with Snow Leopard just works.

Um, it's COMPLETELY SnowLeopard's fault. I *am* using the stock Ruby, which changed from 32-bit in Leopard to 64-bit in SnowLeopard.

Thus rendering every single Ruby program I had non-functional, since all my gems were 32-bit. And my PostgreSQL. And lots and lots of other stuff. Including a bunch of system OSAXen that Apple didn't upgrade to 64-bit.

I had to actually go back and pull my own Ruby off my backups so that I had a 32-bit Ruby just so I could get work done.

I've been trying to get things migrated to 64-bit. I thought I'd finally gotten that taken care of, until I tried to require 'nokogiri'

See original post.

From: Dave Howell on

On Jun 17, 2010, at 12:14 , John W Higgins wrote:

> Afternoon Dave,
>
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Dave Howell <groups.2009a(a)grandfenwick.net
>> wrote:
>
>> I really really regret ever installing SnowLeopard.
>>

> Watch your tongue here Dave - you are insulting an Apple product - you have
> been warned! :)
>
> I found a note about building curb which had the following as part of the
> fix
>
> sudo port install zlib +universal
>
> Potentially that will get zlib in the right spot for you.

$ file /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib
libz.dylib: Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64

So I have a 64-bit libz.dylib. Gem is ignoring my /opt tree.