From: The Natural Philosopher on
Mark Hobley wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc Chris Davies <chris-usenet(a)roaima.co.uk> wrote:
>> Mark Hobley <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
>>> I am using Debian (squeeze/testing). I have installed the iceape
>>> browser and composer suite. I have configured preferences in
>>> /etc/iceape/prefs/base.js [...]
>> Are you sure that's the right location?
>
> I'm not sure. That file was initially created by the Debian installer and
> contained comments that it was the configuration file.
>
>> My iceweasel, icedove, and iceowl each use
>> /etc/{APPLICATION}/pref/{APPLICATION}.js, so I would
>> have expected (ha!) iceape to use /etc/iceape/pref/iceape.js.
>
> Yeah. I use iceweasel on other machines, and I copied the configuration
> file from /etc/iceweasel/pref/iceweasel.js
>
> I'll try a rename to see if that fixes it.
>
> Mark.

somewhere I recall a utility that wraps an app in something and
intercepts and logs all its file open/close statements.

Might be worth a crack to see WHERE it really IS looking..
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Chris Davies wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> somewhere I recall a utility that wraps an app in something and
>> intercepts and logs all its file open/close statements.
>
> strace(1) or maybe ltrace(1) ?
>
> Chris

that's the bunny.

God it took HOURS trawling through the output, but we DID find the
problem, although I have totally forgotten what it was.
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Mark Hobley wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> somewhere I recall a utility that wraps an app in something and
>> intercepts and logs all its file open/close statements.
>>
>> Might be worth a crack to see WHERE it really IS looking..
>
> Yeah. I think that strace provides this facility. I am investigating this.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Mark.

Best of luck tedious as.ypou know. But it gets you there.