From: allanc on
I have an urgent requirement to debug Transact-SQL in SQL Server 2005
and I have a couple of questions.
1. Are there any *free* programs that will allow me to debug (step
through line-by-line, look at cursor results, variables, etc).
2. If the answer is 'no' and Visual Studio is the least expensive
alternative, which versions are compatible and have debugging
capability?
Thank you very much in advance.
From: Erland Sommarskog on
allanc (allan.for.g.groups(a)gmail.com) writes:
> I have an urgent requirement to debug Transact-SQL in SQL Server 2005
> and I have a couple of questions.
> 1. Are there any *free* programs that will allow me to debug (step
> through line-by-line, look at cursor results, variables, etc).

Not that I know.

> 2. If the answer is 'no' and Visual Studio is the least expensive
> alternative, which versions are compatible and have debugging
> capability?

VS 2005 and on.

I know that Kevin Boles talked about about Apex releasing a debug
product which would rock the world. I never checked it, but maybe
it's a cheaper deal than VS.

Then again, my personal experience is that you lose more time with
SQL debuggers than you gain. I don't know much time I spent with
getting debugging to work with SQL 6.5 and SQL 2000, until I finally
said "enough is enough!". Today I do all my SQL debuging with PRINT
and SELECT statements (and sometimes Profiler).

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: allanc on
On Jun 16, 5:37 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...(a)sommarskog.se> wrote:
> allanc (allan.for.g.gro...(a)gmail.com) writes:
> > I have an urgent requirement to debug Transact-SQL in SQL Server 2005
> > and I have a couple of questions.
> > 1. Are there any *free* programs that will allow me to debug (step
> > through line-by-line, look at cursor results, variables, etc).
>
> Not that I know.
>
> > 2. If the answer is 'no' and Visual Studio is the least expensive
> > alternative, which versions are compatible and have debugging
> > capability?
>
> VS 2005 and on.
>
> I know that Kevin Boles talked about about Apex releasing a debug
> product which would rock the world. I never checked it, but maybe
> it's a cheaper deal than VS.
>
> Then again, my personal experience is that you lose more time with
> SQL debuggers than you gain. I don't know much time I spent with
> getting debugging to work with SQL 6.5 and SQL 2000, until I finally
> said "enough is enough!". Today I do all my SQL debuging with PRINT
> and SELECT statements (and sometimes Profiler).
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...(a)sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2008:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx
> SQL 2005:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx
> SQL 2000:http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx

I read somewhere that Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office will provide
the debugging tools for Transact-SQL.
This appears to be much less expensive than Visual Studio 2005
Professional.
Have I taken something out of context in terms of the 'Tools for
Office'?

From: Erland Sommarskog on
allanc (allan.for.g.groups(a)gmail.com) writes:
> I read somewhere that Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office will provide
> the debugging tools for Transact-SQL.
> This appears to be much less expensive than Visual Studio 2005
> Professional.
> Have I taken something out of context in terms of the 'Tools for
> Office'?

No idea. I would suggest that this is a question better asked in a
forum for Visual Studio.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Pages: 1
Prev: list tree database structure