From: justincao on
Hi guys,

I'm not a expert of 1394/firewire. I have some question about connecting
1394 with DSP board, can anyone give me a clue?

I want to play 8-channels 192kHz, 24bit PCM in desktop PC, finally I want
they are received by 4 I2S lines in DSP. So I need to design a soundcard
for this conversion.

My basic idea is:
PC play 8-channels 192k 24bit PCM --> PCI to 1394 --> 1394/firewire line
--> (Received 1394 data --> decode it into 4 I2S data and 3 clocks) --->
Send to DSP.

I want to design a Soundcard to acheive convertion in brakets. Can anyone
have this experience before?

From: Tim Wescott on
justincao wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm not a expert of 1394/firewire. I have some question about connecting
> 1394 with DSP board, can anyone give me a clue?
>
> I want to play 8-channels 192kHz, 24bit PCM in desktop PC, finally I want
> they are received by 4 I2S lines in DSP. So I need to design a soundcard
> for this conversion.
>
> My basic idea is:
> PC play 8-channels 192k 24bit PCM --> PCI to 1394 --> 1394/firewire line
> --> (Received 1394 data --> decode it into 4 I2S data and 3 clocks) --->
> Send to DSP.
>
> I want to design a Soundcard to acheive convertion in brakets. Can anyone
> have this experience before?

The devil is in the details, and there's a devilish lot of details to
getting FireWire to work.

FireWire is an also-ran in the marketing wars, in part because as a
peer-peer topology it's almost as hard to make a FireWire peripheral as
it is to get it going in a PC.

The fast general-purpose FireWire chips are all designed to talk to a
PCI bus -- there are purpose-built camera controllers out there (and no
doubt the printer folks make their own controllers), there's IP that you
can buy to make FireWire work on an FPGA, and there are those PCI chips.

So that's going to be one involved "sound card" -- for a one-off, the
economical way to do this is to use a single-board computer (perhaps
PC-104) with a FireWire port, and write the software to make it act as
the peripheral you want. For moderately high production you're probably
looking at an FPGA and at least a modest processor.

Must you use FireWire? If you're going from a PC anyway, why not use
USB? USB is the victor in that particular marketing battle, and there
are a plethora of chips that you can get to support just what you want
to do -- in fact, chances are high that you can find a DSP with a USB
interface, that will allow you to sidestep the whole I2C into ports thing.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Al Clark on
"justincao" <futuremaster(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.126.com> wrote in

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm not a expert of 1394/firewire. I have some question about connecting
> 1394 with DSP board, can anyone give me a clue?
>
> I want to play 8-channels 192kHz, 24bit PCM in desktop PC, finally I want
> they are received by 4 I2S lines in DSP. So I need to design a soundcard
> for this conversion.
>
> My basic idea is:
> PC play 8-channels 192k 24bit PCM --> PCI to 1394 --> 1394/firewire line
> --> (Received 1394 data --> decode it into 4 I2S data and 3 clocks) --->
> Send to DSP.
>
> I want to design a Soundcard to acheive convertion in brakets. Can anyone
> have this experience before?

There are several Firewire - Audio chip sets. Perhaps the best one is from TC
Applied Technologies.

We looked very seriously at using their solution. We even bought a dev kit.

The biggest catch is that Firewire support is declining. This is unfortunate
since USB audio on Windows PCs suck! Microsoft has not updated the
USBaudio.sys driver. It is still full (12Mb/s) speed. There is a USB Audio
Class 2 spec (and Microsoft was on the committee) but they haven't done
anything.

This leaves ASIO for USB

Al Clark
www.danvillesignal.com
From: justincao on
Thanks for your guys.
I think DICE Mini from TC Applied Technology is a good choise.
Use TSB41AB1 from TI as PHY layer receiver, and DICE mini for 192kHz
8-Channel input/output decode.
The reason to use firewire, is high bitrate and low lantency is a must.
I'm afraid USB port is not capable of 8-channel, 24bit, 192kHz.

>"justincao" <futuremaster(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.126.com> wrote in
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm not a expert of 1394/firewire. I have some question about
connecting
>> 1394 with DSP board, can anyone give me a clue?
>>
>> I want to play 8-channels 192kHz, 24bit PCM in desktop PC, finally I
want
>> they are received by 4 I2S lines in DSP. So I need to design a
soundcard
>> for this conversion.
>>
>> My basic idea is:
>> PC play 8-channels 192k 24bit PCM --> PCI to 1394 --> 1394/firewire
line
>> --> (Received 1394 data --> decode it into 4 I2S data and 3 clocks)
--->

From: Michael Plante on
justincao wrote:
>Thanks for your guys.
>I think DICE Mini from TC Applied Technology is a good choise.
>Use TSB41AB1 from TI as PHY layer receiver, and DICE mini for 192kHz
>8-Channel input/output decode.
>The reason to use firewire, is high bitrate and low lantency is a must.
>I'm afraid USB port is not capable of 8-channel, 24bit, 192kHz.

Dunno about low latency, but that works out to just over 35 Mbits/s, plus
maybe some overhead. That bit rate sounds reasonable for hi-speed USB,
though not full-speed. Whether or not the host can keep up is, of course,
another story.