From: אלי on
Hi all!

I am sorry if my question is stupid but I am new to access.

I am using access database (.mdb) that is controlled from excel. I wanted to
ask if it is possible that for any new record, the default value (string) of
one field will be the value of another field with a constant prefix?
If it is possible I will be glad to now how to do it.

Thanks in advance

Eli

From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on
It would be possible from an Access form, or from an Access query but not in
a table. According to database normalization rules, the values from 1 field
should not be a part of any other field. This rule is occasionally broken in
databases that rely on a composite key field, but it is not recommended.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

From: golfinray on
I am not quite sure what you are asking but I will take a shot. If you are
talking about having one field, like abc, bcd, cde can be used as the source
for another field with a constant prefix, yes you can do that with a query
and then update the table with an update query. For example, in your query
you would use an IIF statement or Replace statement to add the prefix and
then use an update query to add that to a filed in the table.
--
Milton Purdy
ACCESS

From: Dorian on
see answer in other forum.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".

From: theDBguy on
Hi,

You may have to explain it a bit more, but if I understand what you're
asking, I don't think that is possible at the table level but very possible
at the form level.

Hope that helps...