From: unruh on
On 2010-06-15, Barak Hermesh <barhash(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I am involved in the development of a home router which has three
> network interfaces (net-devices):
> lan0 - Ethernet facing the LAN side
> wan0 - WAN data connection
> wan1 - WAN management connection: this is used only for accessing the
> device itself (web pages etc..)
>
> wan0 and wan1 should be looked at as two different physical
> interfaces.
> Both get their IP addresses from DHCP clients and both get different
> default gateways.
> NAT is established between lan0 and wan0.
> The problem is that the Linux router sometimes routes traffic from
> lan0 using the wan1 default gateway's rule.

There is only one default. wan1 should NOT get a default route. Since it
is being used for very specific tasks, it should get specific routes.

> Is there a way to restrict the router to perform forwarding only for a
> subset of the interfaces and use others only for device access?

Sure. Just give it the route
route add -net 111.222.333.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 222.333.444.256 wlan1

You want default on wlan0 I assume since that is where you want most
traffic to go.

From: unruh on
On 2010-06-15, Barak Hermesh <barhash(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 15, 4:28?pm, Pascal Hambourg <boite-a-s...(a)plouf.fr.eu.org>
> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Barak Hermesh a ?crit :
>>

>> > I am involved in the development of a home router which has three
>> > network interfaces (net-devices):
>> > lan0 - Ethernet facing the LAN side
>> > wan0 - WAN data connection
>> > wan1 - WAN management connection: this is used only for accessing the
>> > device itself (web pages etc..)
>>
>> > wan0 and wan1 should be looked at as two different physical
>> > interfaces.
>>
>> Why "should be looked at as" ? Aren't they ?
> They are logical links sharing the same physical medium but for all
> practical purposes they can be looked at as two different interfaces.
>

>> > Both get their IP addresses from DHCP clients and both get different
>> > default gateways.
>>
>> This is asking for trouble. A node should have only one default route at
>> most.
> We have no option. This is per product specification.

You have no option. This product specification is contrary to the rules
of routing. It is a non-complient specification and thus cannot be
fulfilled.

You do not mean that you are planning to have the contolling interface
be accessible by the whole world wide web? That certainly sounds like
lunacy. That router will find itself broken into from day one and
subverted. (You mumbled something about passwords-- 50% of the customers
will leave it as the default password and 25% of the other will use
"password" as the password.-- yes those figures are made up, but you get
the idea))

>> > NAT is established between lan0 and wan0.
>> > The problem is that the Linux router sometimes routes traffic from
>> > lan0 using the wan1 default gateway's rule.
>>
>> As stated above, expect trouble (i.e. unpredictable behaviour) when
>> there are multiple routes to the same destination.
> This is why I am asking for help.

We cannot help you.

> There are no multiple routes for the same destination in the sense
> that I can define a logic of which route to use based on the source
> network device. Unfortunately I do not know ho to do this with Linux.
> If Linux would have supported multiple logical routing tables, each
> serving a subset of the interfaces, the problem would be solved.

??? A default route is a route over which traffic is sent IF there are
no other specific routes available.

Now, if you look at man ip, there is source specific routing available.

From: Maxwell Lol on
>> > I am involved in the development of a home router which has three
>> > network interfaces (net-devices):
>> > lan0 - Ethernet facing the LAN side
>> > wan0 - WAN data connection
>> > wan1 - WAN management connection: this is used only for accessing the
>> > device itself (web pages etc..)
>>
>> > wan0 and wan1 should be looked at as two different physical
>> > interfaces.
>>
>> Why "should be looked at as" ? Aren't they ?
> They are logical links sharing the same physical medium but for all
> practical purposes they can be looked at as two different interfaces.

It's common to isolate control networks from data networks. I would
be concerned that this APPEARS to be isolated, but in reality is
not. Therefore a user may assume a configuration is safe from
eavesdropping and authentication failure, but in reality protection is
not as it seems.