From: John Callaway on
When I defrag ny laptop (XP SP2), I notice two large green blocks. I
assumed that is the page file area. Is there any way to keep them
together instead of separate? There was just one before I increased
the page file size, so I guess instead of adding it to the same area ,
it created a new separate area.

JPC
From: Leonard Grey on
There might be third-party software that can do that...but why do you
think it matters?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

From: Twayne on
In news:lis7u5lmt0e9jvcrvo2r2k38kvpb11si2v(a)4ax.com,
John Callaway <jcalla(a)erols.com> typed:
> When I defrag ny laptop (XP SP2), I notice two large green
> blocks. I assumed that is the page file area. Is there any
> way to keep them together instead of separate? There was
> just one before I increased the page file size, so I guess
> instead of adding it to the same area , it created a new
> separate area.
>
> JPC

IF it's the pagefile area, or anything, really, two blocks of data are
negilgible. The aren't slowing anything down perceptibly and are not causing
any problems. Nothing to fix or worry about.
Depending on some things about/on your drive, you might get them
contiguous again by killing the swapfile, rebooting three times, and the
recreating the swap file again. But it's a lot of work that might be for
naught since you aren't sure what it is.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Tim Meddick on
As you know, you cannot defragment your page file while Windows is running.

However, if you would like your page-file to be defragmented, then you can
download "page defrag" (pagedfrg.exe) by Sysinternals (a former division of
Microsoft).

A small, very easy to use application that writes an entry in the registry
to execute itself at the same point in the boot process where "chkdsk" runs
(when configured to) before the pagefile becomes "locked" by Windows
starting.

Just start the application while Windows is running and specify where the
pagefile is located, tick the "Run on every boot" check-box, and it will
automatically run next, and every time Windows starts-up.

Direct download link for Page Defrag :
http://live.sysinternals.com/Files/PageDefrag.zip

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: Twayne on
It's a negligible "problem" with no downsides so I'd wonder about the value
of adding another startup item from a third party to the boot process.
Unless the disk is way over 50% full, a kill of the pagefile, restart,
defrag, and put the pafegile back on will do it. Once it's set in place, a
pagefile is very unlikely to become fragmented until disk space is almost
gone and windows can no longer centralize the pagefile's location on the
disk.

In news:OzHlaNi7KHA.5644(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Tim Meddick <timmeddick(a)o2.co.uk> typed: