From: Brian Cryer on
"MCM14" <MCM14(a)newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>I actually do want the loading of this particular page to be slow. It is a
> "print view" popup, and because of some weird AJAX & popup blocker &
> Session
> State issues, I need this page to pause loading for a few seconds to
> ensure
> that the data gets successfully uploaded by the AJAX function.
>
> Anyway, none of that matters for this discussion. My goal is simply to
> pause
> the loading of this one page request without pausing any of the other
> processing in the application for other page requests and processes.

I think it does matter ... I've encountered numerous issues in the past
where a delay would make the problem go away. The thing is that without
understanding (you may do) why the delay is needed means that often a delay
simply masks the problem and doesn't cure it, for example when might you
need a longer delay (and would you need a mega delay for people on dial-up)?
Personally I think a better approach is to investigate why the delay is
needed or why it helps and see whether you can resolve the underlying
problem rather than covering it up (and replacing it with a performance
problem). As a general rule: Address the underlying problem, not the
symptom.

However, if you do want a delay then the Sleep(..) call you originally
posted will do the job.

That said, the framework only starts calling the page-init, page-load etc
functions once it knows it needs to build up a page to send out. So at that
point I would have expected the server to have received all the post/get
information from the browser that its going to get.

In any event, I hope you get it sorted and end up with a solution you are
happy with.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian