From: Nasser M. Abbasi on
Hello;

I wrote this basic demo to help me learn about DSP for a class (digital
filtering) at my school that I am taking now, which illustrates sampling a
signal, then it generates the CTFT (cont. time Fourier transform) and then
the DTFT (discrete time Fourier transform) from the samples. Both the
magnitude and the phase are plotted.

One can adjust the sampling frequency, signal duration, and delay time. This
is a limited duration signal, so the CTFT is not bounded and I do not use
any prefilter/anti aliasing filter.

The signal is a simple 2 harmonics (2 cosines), each with different
frequencies and amplitudes which can be adjusted. I probably could have
selected a more interesting signal? but I think too late to change it now.

One can choose the method of signal reconstruction from sampling, either use
sinc, or staircase, or spline (just for fun).

The idea of the demo is to show what happens when one samples a signal and
generates the DTFT and compare it to the CTFT, i.e. the DTFT is scaled, and
periodic. Also it shows some different methods of signal reconstruction.

I know there are many DSP gurus here. so if you try it, and find something I
can improve, or something I am doing wrong, please let me know. It is the
first demo below

http://12000.org/my_notes/mma_demos/index.htm

Just download the file, from the link next to the screen shot there, and
then double click on it.

But this runs using Mathematica player, which is all free, but you need to
have the player installed first (unless you already have Mathematica 7
ofcourse, then you do not need the player).

The player can be downloaded from http://www.wolfram.com/products/player/

Again, if you try it, and find a problem, like is it slow? or other such
things, please let me know.

thanks,
--Nasser

From: Foots on

"Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma(a)12000.org> wrote in message
> Hello;
>
> I wrote this basic demo to help me learn about DSP for a class (digital
> filtering) at my school that I am taking now, which illustrates sampling a
> signal, then it generates the CTFT (cont. time Fourier transform) and then
> the DTFT (discrete time Fourier transform) from the samples. Both the
> magnitude and the phase are plotted.
>
> One can adjust the sampling frequency, signal duration, and delay time.
> This is a limited duration signal, so the CTFT is not bounded and I do not
> use any prefilter/anti aliasing filter.
>
> The signal is a simple 2 harmonics (2 cosines), each with different
> frequencies and amplitudes which can be adjusted. I probably could have
> selected a more interesting signal? but I think too late to change it now.
>
> One can choose the method of signal reconstruction from sampling, either
> use sinc, or staircase, or spline (just for fun).
>
> The idea of the demo is to show what happens when one samples a signal and
> generates the DTFT and compare it to the CTFT, i.e. the DTFT is scaled,
> and periodic. Also it shows some different methods of signal
> reconstruction.
>
> I know there are many DSP gurus here. so if you try it, and find something
> I can improve, or something I am doing wrong, please let me know. It is
> the first demo below
>
> http://12000.org/my_notes/mma_demos/index.htm
>
> Just download the file, from the link next to the screen shot there, and
> then double click on it.
>
> But this runs using Mathematica player, which is all free, but you need to
> have the player installed first (unless you already have Mathematica 7
> ofcourse, then you do not need the player).
>
> The player can be downloaded from http://www.wolfram.com/products/player/

It might be a good idea to put a link to the player on the web page.