From: Fred Marshall on
Ico wrote:
> A potential customer requested a feasibiltiy study for a product
> requiring detecion of dog barks in a real-time recorderd digital audio
> signal. Functional requirements describe:
>
> "Barks should be detected with a accuracy of at least 80%, while other
> (possibly loud) signals like traffic, playing children, etc should
> generate false positives in no more then 10% of the cases."
>
> Any tips on algorithms or literature to get me started ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ico

If you did a "fair" job of detection, accepting more false alerts in
trade for fewer false rests. I'm assuming that you're going to be
wanting to detect multiple-bark sequences more than single barks.
saved audio segments that are "likely",
then edit out the false alerted segments manually (and, perhaps
eventually automatically),
You'd have a short(er) audio record of all the dog barks.

I figure that the false alerts would have *some* noticeable difference
that might be automated once you have the "rough" data.
And, I'm assuming that the composite / compressed audio record doesn't
have to be generated in real time.

The problem is likely tougher if it has to run in real time.
Rick's shock machine would have to run in real time to be effective I
should think. Even Pavlov would say so, I'm sure.

I would have mentioned the off-the-shelf products but I'll bet they
operate on amplitude more than anything - so have to have high SNR and,
thus, close proximity.

Fred

From: Clay on
On Aug 5, 1:26 pm, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Clay <c...(a)claysturner.com> wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> > Simple, get your own dog and attach a sound detector with a high
> > detection threshold to your dog. When your dog hears the distant dog's
> > barks, your dog will act as a bark repeater/amplifier and set off your
> > detector which will be rarely falsed because of the high threshold of
> > detection.
>
> I bionic bark detector!
>
> -- glen

The problem I'm still trying to figure out is why dogs don't bark
themselves deaf? I've asked veternarians this, and the ones I've asked
don't know. I wonder if the dog's ear canals pinch close during
barking?

Clay
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 12:14:09 -0700 (PDT), Clay <clay(a)claysturner.com>
wrote:

>On Aug 5, 1:26=A0pm, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>> Clay <c...(a)claysturner.com> wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>
>> > Simple, get your own dog and attach a sound detector with a high
>> > detection threshold to your dog. When your dog hears the distant dog's
>> > barks, your dog will act as a bark repeater/amplifier and set off your
>> > detector which will be rarely falsed because of the high threshold of
>> > detection.
>>
>> I bionic bark detector!
>>
>> -- glen
>
>The problem I'm still trying to figure out is why dogs don't bark
>themselves deaf? I've asked veternarians this, and the ones I've asked
>don't know. I wonder if the dog's ear canals pinch close during
>barking?
>
>Clay

Adaptive noise cancelling/line enhancing. Or something like that. I
don't think a bark is loud enough to do any physical damage.

Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
Abineau Communications
http://www.abineau.com
From: Ico on
Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacobsen(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 12:14:09 -0700 (PDT), Clay <clay(a)claysturner.com>
> wrote:
>
>>The problem I'm still trying to figure out is why dogs don't bark
>>themselves deaf? I've asked veternarians this, and the ones I've asked
>>don't know. I wonder if the dog's ear canals pinch close during
>>barking?
>
> Adaptive noise cancelling/line enhancing. Or something like that. I
> don't think a bark is loud enough to do any physical damage.

I'm sure my neighbours dog is loud enough, because *I* am about to make
the physical damage happen here!