From: Wayne on
My town office uses Microsoft operating system. They have a proprietary
accounting system that uses excel for their accounting reports.
I would like to read these report and reproduce the report so that
the report can be seen on the web. I was thinking about using xlrd and
xlwt along with some sort of software for building the web pages. I
use linux only and do not use Microsoft.
Q. Does python have to be installed on there computer to run the script?

Q. Am I approaching this the wrong way? If so, what would be a better
approach?

From: MRAB on
Wayne wrote:
> My town office uses Microsoft operating system. They have a proprietary
> accounting system that uses excel for their accounting reports.
> I would like to read these report and reproduce the report so that
> the report can be seen on the web. I was thinking about using xlrd and
> xlwt along with some sort of software for building the web pages. I
> use linux only and do not use Microsoft.
> Q. Does python have to be installed on there computer to run the script?

If you can copy the spreadsheet files to your machine then you can run the
script on your machine.

From: KB on
On Apr 1, 3:34 am, Wayne <infotech...(a)fairpoint.net> wrote:
> My town office uses Microsoft operating system. They have a proprietary
> accounting system that uses excel for their accounting reports.
> I would like to read these report and reproduce the report so that
> the report can be seen on the web. I was thinking about using xlrd and
> xlwt along with some sort of software for building the web pages. I
> use linux only and do not use Microsoft.
> Q. Does python have to be installed on there computer to run the script?
>
> Q. Am I approaching this the wrong way? If so, what would be a better
> approach?

Wayne, check out google group python-excel.

They are very helpful there, and I believe there are threads on how to
compile what you are looking for into a .exe for just such a situation
(Disclaimer: I am far from an expert, so I may have misunderstood from
the python-excel thread if python is/isn't required on the target
machine once the .exe is built, but try that group - John Machin is
very responsive)
From: Tim Roberts on
Wayne <infotechsys(a)fairpoint.net> wrote:

>My town office uses Microsoft operating system. They have a proprietary
>accounting system that uses excel for their accounting reports.
>I would like to read these report and reproduce the report so that
>the report can be seen on the web.

If it were me, I'd just have Excel print to a PDF. No conversion, no
scripting. There are a number of open source PDF converters.
--
Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.