From: John Nagle on
Did class inheritance from "dict" work in early Python? Or did
that only start working when "new objects" came in?

John Nagle
From: Stephen Hansen on
On 7/21/10 7:45 PM, John Nagle wrote:
> Did class inheritance from "dict" work in early Python? Or did
> that only start working when "new objects" came in?

The latter, that's why UserDict (and UserList) was added.

--

Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:45:24 -0700, John Nagle wrote:

> Did class inheritance from "dict" work in early Python? Or did that
> only start working when "new objects" came in?

Only with the introduction of new-style classes and "object" in version
2.2.

http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.2.3/descrintro/#subclassing

Before that the technique of choice was to use automatic delegation, e.g.
see the UserDict module.

--
Steven