From: Rikishi42 on
On 2009-11-12, RodMcKay <NoJunkMail(a)No.com> wrote:

> I've been fed up with Windows ever since I switched from a Win98SE box
> to WinXP a couple of years ago. But I haven't made the switch for
> various reasons, one of them being the sheer numbers of Windows
> programs I use. I'm ready to see how to do the switch anyway and see
> how Wine works. But that seems to defeat the purpose.
>
> So thought I'd ask for any comments from anyone who has already made
> the switch. I mean, anything has practically got to be better than
> Windows, but just curious as to what the major adjustments might have
> been for other Windows users. thx.

It's difficult to give such advice wihtout knowing what programs you use in
Windows.

But look at it from another angle. Instead of wondering what programs'
equivalent exists, try to figure out if you're using a generic/open/portable
format of file or protocol.

I mean, you don't wonder if there's going to be an equivalent to IE. You
expect the to be a web browser.
(Konqueror, Firefox, Opera, SeaMonkey, ...)

You don't wonder if there is Photoshop or Paintshop. Your images are JPG,
PNG, Tiff, Gif. You need a picture editor/viewer that supports those
formats.
(GIMP, xv, GwenView, digiKam, ...)

You use MSN, ICQ or IRC. Is there a chat software that will connect with
those protocols?
(Kopete, Konversation, ...)

On the other hand: you use Autocad. Is there a program that reads DWG
drawings? Not likely. There are to few users that use CAD, so you'll need
some luck there. There are drawing softs, but wether you can exchage designs
with someone else ?

In between: you type your documents in Word. There is such a need to open
the MS Office documentsn, that OpenOffice included support for them. But
it's a better idea to use an open format. Even MS is being pushed into
supporting such a format in Word.

--
Any time things appear to be going better, you have overlooked
something.
From: John Hasler on
Rikishi42 writes:
> On the other hand: you use Autocad. Is there a program that reads DWG
> drawings? Not likely. There are to few users that use CAD, so you'll need
> some luck there.

There are plenty of users. The problem is Autodesk.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: TJ on
RodMcKay wrote:
> I've been fed up with Windows ever since I switched from a Win98SE box
> to WinXP a couple of years ago. But I haven't made the switch for
> various reasons, one of them being the sheer numbers of Windows
> programs I use. I'm ready to see how to do the switch anyway and see
> how Wine works. But that seems to defeat the purpose.
>
> So thought I'd ask for any comments from anyone who has already made
> the switch. I mean, anything has practically got to be better than
> Windows, but just curious as to what the major adjustments might have
> been for other Windows users. thx.

You don't have to "switch" all at once. With most distros, you don't
even have to get rid of your Windows installation if you don't want to.
(assuming you have enough free hard drive space)

I first tried Linux in 2002, with a Mandrake (now known as Mandriva)
distro. I was using Windows 98SE at the time, and put both on the same
computer in a dual-boot situation. I used both for a while, but quickly
became more and more comfortable with Linux. I had never cared for
Windows, having come there from the Atari ST - a much friendlier OS - so
it didn't take much to convert me. While I still have one machine that
dual-boots with Windows 98SE for the few Windows-only programs I still
use, nearly 99% of my computing time is spent with Linux.

If you've been a Windows user for a long time, the biggest thing you'll
probably have to get used to will not needing to update your
anti-malware programs on a daily basis.

TJ
From: RodMcKay on
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 07:13:29 -0500, RodMcKay <NoJunkMail(a)No.com>
wrote:

>I've been fed up with Windows ever since I switched from a Win98SE box
>to WinXP a couple of years ago. But I haven't made the switch for
>various reasons, one of them being the sheer numbers of Windows
>programs I use. I'm ready to see how to do the switch anyway and see
>how Wine works. But that seems to defeat the purpose.
>
>So thought I'd ask for any comments from anyone who has already made
>the switch. I mean, anything has practically got to be better than
>Windows, but just curious as to what the major adjustments might have
>been for other Windows users. thx.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am just so darned tired of Windoze
that I've been ready to give it up forever. The trouble is how I must
keep up with Windows and apps for work and the fact that there are
some windows apps that I absolutely need to be able to keep using.
But I've narrowed the list of the latter right down and with regards
to work, well, I think I'll try to figure out how to struggle to keep
up with everything even though I might not ever use Windoze again at
home.

Now what remains, I guess, is to take the plunge again. I was started
down this path when a colleague gifted me with a Linux CD a couple of
years back and I was amazed at how wonderful it was. I have always
missed the power of having DOS so easily accessible as in Win98SE and
the Linux version he gave me felt similar. He gave me two discs with
two "distros" as they're called, but I couldn't grasp the other one
very well. But the Linux distro I did manage to use felt similar in
some respects. What I also like about it is how Linux is a whole lot
less vulnerable than Windows, like MACs are. But a MAC would mean
getting a whole new computer, etc. Linux is much more desirable on so
many levels. I was also concerned about the FAT32 / NTFS issues.
These are what I know. But I gather from my other thread that large
drives are not a problem. And I don't care what it's called, FAT32
and NTFS are the names I know and that FAT32 cannot handle drives
larger than about 30gigs. But whatever is the equivalent to NTFS
allowing us to use very large drives, then that's all that matters.
That's one of the only reasons I went to XP to begin with. I didn't
give up Win98SE willingly at all.

So my next concern will be starting and then figuring out how to
switch all my files and systems over. Whatever I can't switch over
I'll have to find alternatives for. But this thread has made me
decide to try it, to begin afresh with Linux. For those special apps
that might not exist in Linux because of their obscurity/uniqueness,
I'll try them in Wine till I figure out a Linux equivalent.

Thanks once again. I'll check out your info, MarcB, that sounds like
the type of good place to start...

>On my site, I described the process, and wrote down some settings as a
>memory aid.
>
>https://sites.google.com/site/marcshomesite/Home
>
>--
>MarcB

Thanks everyone! :oD

From: RodMcKay on
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:18:16 -0500, TJ <TJ(a)noneofyour.business> wrote:

>RodMcKay wrote:
>> I've been fed up with Windows ever since I switched from a Win98SE box
>> to WinXP a couple of years ago. But I haven't made the switch for
>> various reasons, one of them being the sheer numbers of Windows
>> programs I use. I'm ready to see how to do the switch anyway and see
>> how Wine works. But that seems to defeat the purpose.
>>
>> So thought I'd ask for any comments from anyone who has already made
>> the switch. I mean, anything has practically got to be better than
>> Windows, but just curious as to what the major adjustments might have
>> been for other Windows users. thx.
>>
>You don't have to "switch" all at once. With most distros, you don't
>even have to get rid of your Windows installation if you don't want to.
>(assuming you have enough free hard drive space)
>
>I first tried Linux in 2002, with a Mandrake (now known as Mandriva)
>distro. I was using Windows 98SE at the time, and put both on the same
>computer in a dual-boot situation. I used both for a while, but quickly
>became more and more comfortable with Linux. I had never cared for
>Windows, having come there from the Atari ST - a much friendlier OS - so
>it didn't take much to convert me. While I still have one machine that
>dual-boots with Windows 98SE for the few Windows-only programs I still
>use, nearly 99% of my computing time is spent with Linux.
>
>If you've been a Windows user for a long time, the biggest thing you'll
>probably have to get used to will not needing to update your
>anti-malware programs on a daily basis.
>
>TJ

That sounds ideal to me. I'd very _very_ happy to have Win98SE
available for whatever situation happens to come up where I need to
absolutely do something in Windows. Fortunately, no matter what
system upgrades they do, usually old versions of documents like Word
2000, still accepted. In those cases where my resume absolutely _has_
to be sent in Word, I could do that. Doubtful I could get them to
accept PDF so there may be no choice there, but knowing that I can
dual-boot to Win98SE might make this all easier. I've always looked
for apps that generally can be used in older OS and not need any of
that stupid .NET stuff, so maybe that practice will pay off even more
now!

So my resume and some obscure puzzle-building apps may be only thing
holding me back. That and Outlook. I'm a huge fan because of how
much I use the power of MS Outlook for mail. I've tried, literally,
about 40-50 other email programs and none come close. Does Linux have
anything as powerful as Outlook, by any chance? Probably a stupid
question but I do love the ease of use, rules, calendar, tasks, notes
power and even look of Outlook 2000. I do also prefer Excel. I have
used the OO one but it doesn't do all that Excel does. But I can live
with the limitations, I believe. But Outlook no. It handles my
rather large email needs like no other. However, wouldn't like to run
it under Wine, I definitely would prefer to find a Linux "equivalent"
to.

Well, looks like I have my work cut out for me.

And, YES, I definitely like all those things that Linux provides:
- no need to update virus/malware definitions so often
- no need to repeatedly wipe the drive and reinstall!!! That I've
always loved the idea of.
- no need to worry about keeping the registry as clean as one can!
etc. etc. etc. <g>

Thanks.