From: Avrom Pearson on
Ran Windows for years.
"AndLinux", running Ubuntu over Windows XP allowed me to become familiar
with Ubuntu while using my familiar Windows programs and checking
out open source equivalents.

Ran Ubuntu 9.10 from disk a few times, going back to
XP for shorter and shorter visits.

Backed up hard disk, convinced I was going to wipe out
XP by repartitioning.

Repartitioned.

Installed Ubuntu 9.10.

Did not wipe out XP or my data.

Running Ubuntu, can now
bring up XP (don't very often) or Ubuntu and I can access
my old data and use some of my Windows programs using WINE.

Still have a lot to learn.

אברהמ
From: sctvguy1 on
On 11/12/2009 08:57 AM, philo wrote:
> MarcB wrote:
>> RodMcKay wrote:
>>
>>> I've been fed up with Windows ever since I switched from a Win98SE box
>>> to WinXP a couple of years ago. But I haven't made the switch for
>>> various reasons, one of them being the sheer numbers of Windows
>>> programs I use. I'm ready to see how to do the switch anyway and see
>>> how Wine works. But that seems to defeat the purpose.
>>>
>>> So thought I'd ask for any comments from anyone who has already made
>>> the switch. I mean, anything has practically got to be better than
>>> Windows, but just curious as to what the major adjustments might have
>>> been for other Windows users. thx.
>>
>> I made the change when vista came out.
>> At first I dual booted windows & linux, after knowing linux a little
>> better, I erased windows from my hard drive in order to have more
>> space for films.
>>
>> On my site, I described the process, and wrote down some settings as a
>> memory aid.
>>
>> https://sites.google.com/site/marcshomesite/Home
>>

> Good info
>
> I did a test install of Vista and there were no drivers for my very
> common sound card and SCSI card.
>
> Even with all the updates and the system tweaked for best performance...
> it ran terribly.
>
> I installed Linux and was very happy to see that *all* my hardware was
> detected just fine. As someone who has been using Linux on a part time
> basis for many years...this was the year I made the transition to it
> being my main OS.
>
> Since my machine has removable drive kits...I can compare different
> operating systems on the same H/W
>

> My main machine is a dual core XP-2800+ with three gigs of RAM
>

> The speed test I ran was simply copy an entire CD to the harddrive,
> then delete it.
>

> Using either Linux or XP...the time was about the same...
>
> however from Vista...it took *twice* as long
>

> Though Microsoft has now lost me as a customer...
> I suppose I should give Win7 a try...
> but I will not be using it other than for evaluation
do you still have eCS or OS/2? I am still waiting for eCS 2.0 to come out.
From: philo on
sctvguy1 wrote:
> On 11/12/2009 08:57 AM, philo wrote:
>> MarcB wrote:

>>> I made the change when vista came out.
>>> At first I dual booted windows & linux, after knowing linux a little
>>> better, I erased windows from my hard drive in order to have more
>>> space for films.
>>>
>>> On my site, I described the process, and wrote down some settings as a
>>> memory aid.
>>>
>>> https://sites.google.com/site/marcshomesite/Home
>>>

>> Good info
>>
>> I did a test install of Vista and there were no drivers for my very
>> common sound card and SCSI card.
>>
>> Even with all the updates and the system tweaked for best performance...
>> it ran terribly.
>>
>> I installed Linux and was very happy to see that *all* my hardware was
>> detected just fine. As someone who has been using Linux on a part time
>> basis for many years...this was the year I made the transition to it
>> being my main OS.
>>
>> Since my machine has removable drive kits...I can compare different
>> operating systems on the same H/W
>>

>> My main machine is a dual core XP-2800+ with three gigs of RAM
>>

>> The speed test I ran was simply copy an entire CD to the harddrive,
>> then delete it.
>>

>> Using either Linux or XP...the time was about the same...
>>
>> however from Vista...it took *twice* as long
>>

>> Though Microsoft has now lost me as a customer...
>> I suppose I should give Win7 a try...
>> but I will not be using it other than for evaluation
> do you still have eCS or OS/2? I am still waiting for eCS 2.0 to come out.

I still have an ECS installation somewhere